Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and restless leg syndrome

(2 Posts)
rooks14 Sun 31-Jul-11 02:17:13

Hi,
I'm due with my first baby on wednesday. I can't see any medical reason why I can't breast feed so I obviously want to if I can...

The only big negative for me at the moment is how bad my restless legs are. I suffered pre-pregnancy with it, so its not something that is just going to go away like a lot of pregnancy things. Anyone that suffers as badly as me probably reacted in the same way when the GP told me all you can do during pregnancy is "have a bath, get DP to rub them and stretch your legs!" For me, anyone touching them makes me feel as though they're knotting up my veins (weird I know!) and a bath does nothing. As a result i'm sleep deprived (it's 2:06 am!!) and so fed up and frustrated!

Is there anyone out there breastfeeding and on any sort of safe medication to treat it?

EauRouge Sun 31-Jul-11 10:09:24

You poor thing, I had it really bad both times I was pregnant (well, it was restless arms for me). I found taking spatone helped, although it may have just been a coincidence. Low iron levels have been linked to restless leg but I'm not sure if any extensive research has been done. Still, it's only £7 and perfectly safe to take while BF so you may as well give it a go!

If you want to look into medication then ask your GP what they would normally prescribe and then find someone with a copy of Dr Hale (you could try the hospital infant feeding co-ordinator or your local LLL group. The book has loads of info on drugs and BF, much more so than your GP or pharmacist will have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now