Talk

Advanced search

Toddler stopped feeding (I'm pg), but do you think this means he's going to try to start again?!

(2 Posts)
acatcalledfelix Sat 30-Jul-11 22:23:26

I'm 27 weeks pg, and my DS is 21 months old. He self-weaned about 10 weeks ago, but in the last few days there have been a couple of times where's he's pulled at my top, then tried to suckle. He hasn't seemed upset that nothing happened when he did this.

I've been wondering if he would try to start feeing again when the new bub is born and he sees me feeding him / her. Does anyone think this is likely? Or have any experience of this? I was quite up for give tandem feeding ago until he stopped feeding....

TruthSweet Sun 31-Jul-11 00:03:03

It sounds like he didn't really self wean but had a bit of a protest at possible lowered milk supply, different taste to the milk, not being able to fed in the same position due to baby bump or something going on with him - teething, cold, earache, etc (who knows what goes through toddlers heads wink) and he might be ready to start again.

You can continue letting him nurse when he wants, offer more frequently if you like (he can always say no!) to encourage and maintain his ability to latch or tell him no if you don't want to continue. You may find he is just experimenting with something he remembers or is very keen to get back to nursing, only time will tell.

A good book with lots of info on tandem nursing/nursing whilst pg is Hilary FLower's Adventures in Tandem Nursing, also Kellymom.com has a huge section on the same topics.

Good luck with the rest of your pg and congratulations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now