Talk

Advanced search

How am I going to get DD on to a bottle? Panicking - back to work in 2 weeks?

(3 Posts)
SarahScot Sat 30-Jul-11 17:16:41

DD is starting nursery in 2 weeks when I go back to work. She will be 5 months old to the day when she starts.

She has been ebf since birth, although every so often I would give her a bottle of expressed bm just so she'd be okay with bottles - which she was. I kind of forgot about it for a month or so - bad move obviously.

I've been trying to get her to take a bottle for the last few weeks. My plan is to have her on formula during the day when I'm at work and breastfeed her at teatime, bedtime, through the night and in the morning.

However, she is refusing the bottle whether it is formula, breastmilk or a mix of the two. We did have Avent bottles but she seemed to have trouble latching on the them so I bought Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature ones. She fed great from them TWICE but has refused ever since, so I know that she CAN do it, she just won't. Today I went out and left her with DH but she ate nothing while I was out, meaning she went 11 until almost 5 without eating.

I've only got two weeks to fix this and am starting to panic. Have any of you experienced the same and found the magic answer?

DairyBeetle Sat 30-Jul-11 18:28:00

Haven't got the magic answer I'm afraid, but I am sharing your struggle with DS (4 months). I've managed to get him to take 1 bottle in the last 12 weeks (and that was despite him having EBM from a bottle for the first three weeks as we had a time of it getting BF established).

Anyway, the one bottle I managed to get him to take was given when he had just woken from a nap, haven't managed to time things right for a repeat of that since. However I often give him a bottle or sippy cup to play with, he quite likes being able to hold it himself (the basic Tommee Tippee freeflow cup has nice thin handles for him) and the sound of the milk swishing inside. He's now happily putting the bottle or cup into his mouth (or at least letting me hold it there) but hasn't quite mastered how to suck. None of this is helped currently as he's teething like mad and seems to enjoy using the bottle and cup as giant teething rings!

Not sure if any of that helps, but just wanted to say I know just how you feel!

DrSeuss Sat 30-Jul-11 18:31:40

I'd try dreamfeeding, ie feeding the baby in its sleep or the really old fashioned, highly incorrect method- sugar water on the teat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now