Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever bf someone elses baby?

(36 Posts)
Mibby Sat 30-Jul-11 12:35:45

Slightly odd question I know but Id love to know if anyone has ever bf a child not their own? A friends child maybe? Are there any health implications? And does it matter if your child and the other child are different ages (im thinking about milk composition changing as your baby grows up)?

Marne Sat 30-Jul-11 12:38:08

Surely its the same as having a 'wet nurse' (i think thats what they are called)?

I wouldn't really want someone else feeding my baby but each to their own, people donate breast milk dont they? so i'm sure theres no real harm in it.

yumcha888 Sat 30-Jul-11 14:08:17

It's very normal in many cultures and Salma Hayek famously did it in Sierra Leone.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CD8QtwIwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6htxMJ4cfQs&rct=j&q=salma%20hayak%20breastfeed&ei=DwE0Tr2CCYW2hAf1_r3VBQ&usg=AFQjCNGZcdZwgoiUqQTJfntxRaGhgwFGNA

EauRouge Sat 30-Jul-11 16:02:17

I haven't. I would happily express for someone else but I'd have to think about BF another baby unless it was an emergency. I don't know why, maybe it's a bonding thing. Also feeding 2 of my own takes up enough of my energy grin

There seem to be lots of offers of wet nursing on HM4HB on Facebook. There are some recommendations on their website here

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sat 30-Jul-11 16:20:32

I haven't, but I wouldn't mind if asked...

Mibby Sat 30-Jul-11 17:32:21

Great clip. Thank you yumcha888 smile

orchidee Sat 30-Jul-11 18:21:54

I would, although I can't imagine it ever coming up unless it was for a friend's child or in an emergency. But in those circumstances, definitely.

scrivette Sat 30-Jul-11 19:04:51

Funnily enough i was thinking earlier that I wouldnt mind doing this just to see what non painful breastfeeding is like with a baby that can latch properly!

talkingnonsense Sat 30-Jul-11 19:07:16

I knew sisters wh would feed for each other when babysitting- I would have happily fed another child but I think people would feel weird asking!

TruthSweet Sat 30-Jul-11 22:15:25

I haven't fed anyone else's child but have had two different friends milk for two of my daughters. One was because I was in hospital and struggling to make enough and one was because I couldn't bear her to throw it away (her baby didn't take ebm and we were both at a child-free wedding) so took it home and froze it for another day out sans children.

I would happily bf another mother's child, if she asked me and she was aware, and happy for me to do so, given the medication I am on (safe for bfing but everyone has their own limits).

hellymelly Sat 30-Jul-11 22:23:00

I haven't but I would in an emergency.One of my friends was fed by several of her mother's friends in the 70's...

TittyBojangles Sat 30-Jul-11 22:28:33

I haven't but would.

tallulah Sat 30-Jul-11 22:33:23

I have. A friend and I used to babysit each-others DD for one morning a week. Both were BF. I fed hers once and I think she fed mine once. It felt a bit weird because all babies have a different latch/ suck and these were both firstborns. But clearly the children didn't think it was odd because there was no hesitation.

noddyholder Sat 30-Jul-11 22:36:53

I love salma

DaisySteiner Sat 30-Jul-11 22:39:06

Yes, I have. A close friend was having terrible trouble latching her baby on because of inverted nipples, soreness and engorgement. She simply couldn't bear to feed him for a few hours and begged me to. I was tandem nursing a 1 year old and 3 year old so had plenty to go round! I fed him a couple of times, she got help from a breastfeeding counsellor and she was able to do it after that. It felt a lot less weird than I expected but very different emotionally to feeding my own baby somehow. Would do it again happily (if I had any milk, lol!)

shmoz Sat 30-Jul-11 22:39:12

I haven't but would if asked, wouldn't bother me at all.

Would depend on the age of the friend's child though, would have to draw the line after a certain age (i.e. 18). grin

hellymelly Sat 30-Jul-11 22:39:18

I love Salma too.I can't imagine another film star who would do that.She is fab.

inatrance Sat 30-Jul-11 22:46:19

Interesting thread, I've discussed this with my sis who has a dd a few weeks younger than my ds. I'd be ok with feeding my dn but not if it wasn't family I think.

zgaze Sat 30-Jul-11 23:07:30

Yes, I have. I have two sisters both with babies and I am still feeding my toddler. I've fed one of the babies, the others have both fed each others. It felt far more natural than I expected, not weird in the slightest which surprised me. I don't think I would want my toddler fed though - not sure why, probably just because he is so much more aware and he doesn't 'need' it as such (although I'm sure he'd disagree!). I'm pregnant again and I'd be happy for them to feed my newborn though.

aswellasyou Sat 30-Jul-11 23:08:21

My sister had a baby 7 days after me. She didn't manage breastfeeding, but if both of us were breastfeeding, I can imagine there having been times we'd have looked after the other's daughter and fed her. Then I could have gone out on my own before she turned 10 months!grin
I'd also do it for another baby if there was a need for it.

PurveyorOfBaloney Sat 30-Jul-11 23:17:01

I haven't, but I was desperate to do so for my niece who is 3 weeks younger than my DD. When we visited when they were tiny the poor little thing would be rooting desperately on anyone who held her, and SIL would tut and look at her watch and say "still another hour to go before the next feed" sad

CreepyWeeBracketsUser Sat 30-Jul-11 23:17:25

im really not sure if i would have or not, i dont know how comfortable i would have been with another baby at my breast as i found it so hard having my own child there <she BF perfectly latched well etc but i never felt fully comfortable with it > my aunt offered her breast milk for preemies when she had her youngest as she made so much and had donated before but the rules had changed regarding it so she was unable to.

RobynLou Sat 30-Jul-11 23:20:47

I haven't but I would.

Mibby Sun 31-Jul-11 06:25:58

purveyor thats sad

I have done once, a friends baby, slightly older than mine, had a feed when she was poorly. She'd been up all night and had finally got to sleep when he decided it was milk time. He was quite happy to come to me although my DD was a little shock

Another friend has a new baby and we were discussing this while she was pg

Mishy1234 Sun 31-Jul-11 08:08:43

I haven't, but I would if the situation presented itself.

I think it was quite common a few generations ago. DH's Grandmother told me that she bf her neighbour's baby when she had issues with supply in the early days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now