Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else still breastfeed their 8 month old baby at night?

(97 Posts)
Kiki84 Fri 29-Jul-11 19:31:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catwithflowers Fri 29-Jul-11 19:34:42

I fed my last baby until he was 18 months. It was lovely - just his last feed before he went to sleep. I didn't mind if it was habit or comfort. It was just lovely smile

allhailtheaubergine Fri 29-Jul-11 19:36:08

When my 2 were 8 months they both definitely had night feeds, despite being enthusiastic eaters of solids during the day.

RitaMorgan Fri 29-Jul-11 19:36:52

Do you want to stop feeding at night, or just feel you should?

sancerrre Fri 29-Jul-11 19:39:22

Mine's 8 months too and is bf on demand about every 3 hours day and night. I don't find it too bad as he's a quick feeder (10 mins) and goes straight back to sleep. His initial block of sleep is gradually getting longer though - 7pm till midnight last night - so I'm hoping that will eventually extend to the morning. Dr has told me to give him water instead and he'll stop waking but he's just not interested. Any method I've tried other than bf to get him back off to sleep takes ages so for the purposes of maximum sleep I'm just carrying on bfing him.

mawbroon Fri 29-Jul-11 19:40:06

Do what you think is right for you and your baby.

There is nothing "only" about comfort!

RubyrooUK Fri 29-Jul-11 19:47:41

Well, my son is nearly a year and he still can't go more than 3 hours (night or day) without eating. So you are not alone! Although I know that some sources say they don't need feeding at night at 8 months, my doc said most babies still get 25% of their calories at night under a year old. And generally my son slugs away in the night then falls back asleep after refuelling - the long comfort feeds tend to be in the evening or early morning. So I think he is just a baby who needs to eat at night still.

I've tried not offering him feeds in the night but this results in either:

a) intense distress and crying in his father's arms to the point of choking on tears and vomiting down himself. Nice.
b) Crying himself fully awake and then deciding to get up at 2am/4am/whenever - generally shouting "dada" or "cat" and requiring one parent to get up with him until an hour later, he breaks down and either cries till vomiting or comes back to me for a feed.

So with that in mind, I feed him and just hope that one day sleeping longer will be more important to him than the feeds. As I work full-time and I'm sure you are knackered too, here is hoping that day comes soon for both of us. smile

RubyrooUK Fri 29-Jul-11 19:52:01

Oh, was going to add that like the other posts mention, my son is an enthusiastic eater during the day. People have told me to stuff him in the evening to get him to sleep more but he only eats when he is hungry, so won't touch food if he doesn't want it. So he is just a "small meals every few hours" kind of guy, I guess.

Your experience sounds pretty normal to me. I am bitterly jealous of people with children that sleep. grin

Mortal Fri 29-Jul-11 19:57:32

I don't know how on earth I'd get my 8 month old to sleep if I didn't bf him. To all of you who also do, do you still change nappies in the middle of the night?

NinthWave Fri 29-Jul-11 20:01:36

Mine still does and he's 9mo, I also have a 3yo and it's far far quicker/easier to feed the baby and have him back in a deep sleep within 10 mins than it is to faff about patting his back or whatever.

DS1 stopped BF at night at about a year, I think. He now sleeps 12 hours straight in his own bed - something not many 3yos I know do, so it's turned out OK in the end grin

NinthWave Fri 29-Jul-11 20:03:26

Mortal I only change the nappy if it's direty - about once a fortnight, thanks mostly to his adventurous new eating habits at Nursery!

CocktailQueen Fri 29-Jul-11 20:15:09

Yes both mine did, till about 12 months! Totally normal!

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Fri 29-Jul-11 20:19:26

Mine still wakes. He went through a period of a month or so of sleeping 7pm to 5am ish without a feed but has recently reverted to waking at least twice in the night. I feel I should be trying not to feed but it takes maybe 5 minutes max and he goes straight back to sleep so it's the easiest option. Last night I tried just comforting him and he wasn't buying it at all so I fed him. I'm not convinced he's hungry and think he just needs the comfort really.

I don't change nappies at night unless he has pooed.

I find myself fretting about things like this which have just sorted themselves out naturally so I try not to force anything anymore. i.e I panicked that he wouldn't nap in his cot in the day and now he does, no problem, with no training or anything needed.

beanlet Fri 29-Jul-11 20:23:33

Mine's 12 months, nearly 13. He's still having at least two feeds in the night. I'm to tired to force him onto a more reasonable regime. He's fine. It's fine. Do what works for you and your bairn.

beanlet Fri 29-Jul-11 20:23:51

too tired.

Nagini Fri 29-Jul-11 20:24:11

I dream feed DD at 11pm. There's a 'ban' on feeding from 12-5am. If she wakes she is offered water. The first night she was pissed off and cried a fair bit, so we were awake for about an hour and a half instead of the usual 10 mins and had to jig and pace to get her to sleep. The 2nd night she accepted the water and after the third night I am now getting enough sleep to dream grin

I think it's easier since I know she can go until 5am, it doesn't feel like I;m depriving her the whole night IYSWIM. Realistically she is waking at 6.10 and I take her downstairs for 40 mins and then she goes back to sleep until about half 8.

beanlet Fri 29-Jul-11 20:24:42

And no. I don't change nappies in the night.

Mortal Fri 29-Jul-11 20:49:46

You only change nappies once a fortnight?! That's some absorbent shit you got there.

Mibby Fri 29-Jul-11 20:59:31

<waves to sancerrre>

DD is 8 months, eats like a horse, 3 meals plus one or two snacks and still wakes at least once a night for a feed. TBH its quicker and more successful to do a ten or fifteen min feed and put her back down to sleep, and go back to bed myself, than try any other method of settling her. My GP, who as two bf children herself, says this is fine and normal

WoTmania Fri 29-Jul-11 21:01:53

You aren't the only one. Only DD is 29 months. Depends how you define 'need'. in the nutritional sense, probably not, in the confort security in the middle of the night - well, I think she still needs it.

devonsmummy Fri 29-Jul-11 21:14:01

My DD is 22 mths and still wakes 1 or 2 times a night to feed. As we co sleep it's not a problem.
With DS by the time he got to 22 mths I'd had enough ( we didn't co sleep)

sheeplikessleep Fri 29-Jul-11 21:22:31

I did night weaning with DS2 at 10 months old, as I was getting to the point of beyond exhaustion and to that point, he was awake 2 - 3 times a night at least and every time I would BF him.

Over about 2 or 3 nights, instead of me feeding him, DH would go in and cuddle him / pat his back. He screamed loads the first night (with me downstairs in tears), but the second night was better, but I can't remember if it was the third or fourth night, he slept from 7pm until 5am.

Everyone is different, but by then, I knew he was eating enough and I had to do something, as I was crying at everything, shouting at DS1 and both DH and I were arguing loads. He was BLW, so it wasn't until 8 months ish, where I knew he was eating enough. At 10 months, he was eating pretty much the same as his 3 year old brother.

TruthSweet Fri 29-Jul-11 22:07:09

I still nurse my 21m DD3 in the night if she isn't settled by a cuddle and drink of water from Daddy. If DD2 who's 3.8 woke in the night and was upset enough to ask to nurse I'd do it and she hasn't had a night feed in possibly years!

It drives me nuts the 'if they're old enough to ask for it then they're too old for it' and the 'if baby weighs Xlb or is X weeks/months old they don't need night feeds' nonsense.

If a baby, who's probably not hungry/thirsty due to the amount of solids/water they have had and times they have nursed during the day, wakes in the night and won't settle with out nursing, then it's all the more reason to nurse them, not a reason to deny them the comfort and closeness they get whilst nursing.

Or is it just me who feels like that confused

Not saying anyone on this thread is saying those things though, just a general attitude I find in some people at times.

WinkyWinkola Fri 29-Jul-11 22:12:21

I still bf my 21 month old DS at night. Comfort is as good a reason as any.

Do what you think is best. If you've had enough, then make up your own mind and get On with it.

mawbroon Fri 29-Jul-11 22:48:47

I agree with you TruthSweet about the general shite that is bandied about, as per your examples.

I settled ds1 through the night by nursing until he was 3.5yo. Previous attempts at night weaning were an all round nightmare, both at the time and also during the day.

He then nightweaned without much trouble at all when he was ready for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now