Talk

Advanced search

Baby not emptying ducts at top side of breast - positions to help?

(11 Posts)
jasmine51 Fri 29-Jul-11 19:03:13

I have just got over one bout of mastitis but its all going to happen again unless I address the problem of the ducts on the top side of my breasts not being drained consistently. The trouble is I have large breasts with a downward pointing nipple so the only positions that work for me are rugby ball, cradle or cross hold ie ones that mainly use the side or lower ducts. What feasible positions are there that put babies sucking bits on these upper ducts? Short of hanging him upsidedown over my shoulder I'm at a loss! He is 5wks by the way...heavy and a very vigorous sucker!

RitaMorgan Fri 29-Jul-11 19:19:11

Could you lie back with him upside down over your shoulder?

Double check as well that there aren't any bits of your bra or handbag straps etc rubbing on that bit.

jasmine51 Fri 29-Jul-11 19:25:50

Thanks Rita I'm going to try that later (with helpers!) but as my nipples point downwards its going to be a challenge to do it without many hands to help hold everything that needs to be held! Might be worth a you tube video!
I have my suspicions about my bra..its a very good one but for the time being I think I'll go up a size to ensure everything has enough room.

fraktious Fri 29-Jul-11 19:39:14

Lie down with his feet towards your head smile

fraktious Fri 29-Jul-11 19:40:01

On your sides I mean...

jasmine51 Fri 29-Jul-11 19:41:52

fraktious thanks for clarifying that...I was wondering where exactly my nose would end up in relation to his non very fragrant nappy if I was on my back!

fraktious Fri 29-Jul-11 20:04:55

Oh you still end up with a faceful of nappy but you aren't being smothered by it.

Really I could have explained it better as lie on your side to feed, then rotate him 180 degrees!

jasmine51 Fri 29-Jul-11 20:19:31

Lol, lovely! a pre feed change is in order I think...and a crash helmet to protect against getting kicked in head....antenatal classes never warn you to buy one of those!

nectarina Sun 31-Jul-11 02:09:19

Lie the baby on his back on the bed and give the breast on all fours - you can approach from any angle you want so is perfect for draining ducts in different places.

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Sun 31-Jul-11 02:14:32

I was going to say what nectarina said

having had mastitus twice (nearly 6 years over three kids bf) the all fours position is a godsend for emptying

jasmine51 Mon 01-Aug-11 09:20:12

ooo thats a novel one...and good for the arm toning too!
Its alot better today as have been massaging like mad and expressing too over the w/e. Going to a bf clinic later to get help with all your suggestions. Thankyou so much everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now