Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In what position do you BF your older / larger baby?

(10 Posts)
orchidee Fri 29-Jul-11 13:33:50

The cradle-type holds are getting uncomfortable. Side-lying and the biological nurturing positions have been mastered. I've tried feeding him in a modified half-sitting-up position, his bum on my leg or between my legs but it's a bit awkward. What works for you?
(DS is 12 weeks old but on the 91st centile, pretty long)

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 29-Jul-11 13:41:09

Older baby like three months? I think we still did cradle, if that means side-lying across my knees (with cushion if necessary), but DD was a lot smaller. I don't know what biological nurturing positions means.

Older baby like a year; however she wanted to, really!

orchidee Fri 29-Jul-11 14:47:42

yep 3 months, but looong smile

bbiological nurturing is a lazy lovely way to feed. You - on your back, baby - face down on your chest / tummy / wherever is comfy

TimeWasting Fri 29-Jul-11 18:20:54

I couldn't really cradle DS when feeding him as I had to hold my boob, so he just laid on his back across my lap. When this didn't seem the best option we moved to the sitting up position, him straddling my thigh. As he got older and taller I had to lean back more. grin

I can't remember how old he was when we shifted to the sitting up thigh straddling position though, don't know how easy it would be before baby could sit up properly, but it might be worth a try. I suppose if you're leaning back it's quite like the biological position anyway.

TruthSweet Fri 29-Jul-11 22:16:47

I fed DD2 today in cradle hold and she is 105cm & 3.8 years old so it still works even for the largest of nurslings grin I didn't need a cushion though grin.

Seriously though, I found crossing my legs 'man style' works (hope that doesn't offend anyone but I can't think of another way to describe it). So you if you feed on the right side, you have your right legs crossed over the left leg and rest baby on your thigh.

Or you could tuck their legs under your arm and round your side (not to be tried in a small arm chair with high armrests - babies aren't that keen on pain <oops>), so if you were feeding off your right side, you'd tuck baby's legs under your left arm, baby's resting on right arm and head/neck is guided by left hand (if needed).

CardyMow Sat 30-Jul-11 09:08:44

Am interested in answers - struggling with DS3 who is 6.5 months old, but over the top line on the charts (over the 99.9th centile! for length). I tend to sort of 'sit' him in my lap, but it's getting rather awkward(sp?).

Clueless79 Sat 30-Jul-11 10:12:28

I also have a long 3mo ds -we feed with him upright straddling the opposite leg to the breast he's on, seems comfy and think being upright helps with wind.

orchidee Sat 30-Jul-11 17:54:37

Thanks for the ideas, it's interesting to hear how creative you all are smile

brookeslay Sat 30-Jul-11 17:56:28

I sit down and do 1/4 turn his way with loads of pillows for support.

iamamilkmachine Sat 30-Jul-11 19:49:02

DD (14 months) tends to stand on me and move around until she's happy! Around 3 months we were rugby balling with her on the arm of the sofa and me sat down on the seat of the sofa-looked a bit strange but worked for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now