Talk

Advanced search

BF baby and lots of poo

(13 Posts)
orchidee Fri 29-Jul-11 10:58:48

I keep hearing that it's fine if bf babies have a few poo-free days. Well at 12 weeks we still have 4 or 5 poo-filled nappies a day. You know the explosive ones that no nappy can contain? None overnight then it's every hour or two during the day, possibly linked to feeds (poo season begins shortly after the morning feed). Any ideas if this is a trend that will continue, or whether it's a sign of anything? I have a feeling my baby reacts to days that I've had a lot of cows' milk in my diet (red bottom). thanks

orchidee Fri 29-Jul-11 10:59:56

Poo description alert:
mustard yellow, liquid with thread-like or seed-like flecks

tiktok Fri 29-Jul-11 11:11:48

Normal, orchidee - may continue for a while yet smile

Red bottom: usual explanation is when wee mixes with poo and baby's skin touches it, but could be a dietary cause as well/instead, I suppose.

SnarkHunt Fri 29-Jul-11 11:22:45

Mine poos about 3 or 4 times a day and has done since meconium finished. She's 5 months. We had twoweeks of poo every hour which was a mild tummy upset with no treatment needed. Happy wiping!

choceyes Fri 29-Jul-11 11:25:19

I've heard that BF babies poo frequency can vary from several times day to a wekk without poos, so sounds normal to me!

orchidee Fri 29-Jul-11 11:34:15

Thanks everyone! I shall continue stocking up on nappies, cotton wool and wipes. The current record is 3 nappies used in one changing session while the poo just keeps coming! www.mysupermarket.co.uk is handy for finding out who has deals on btw

SnarkHunt Fri 29-Jul-11 11:35:06

Red bum: make sure you change as soon as you spot a poo, have as much bare bum time as possible and squirt bum with breastmilk after cleaning (make sure noones looking hahaha)

orchidee Fri 29-Jul-11 11:38:09

SnarkHunt is there anything bf doesn't fix? smile thanks

RitaMorgan Fri 29-Jul-11 12:31:52

Mine still poos about 4 times a day and he is almost 1 grin He pooed at every feed for months.

howabout Fri 29-Jul-11 12:45:32

Mine both poohed at least once after every feed until I started to introduce solids at 6 months. So much for "dreamfeeds" and "feeding babies to sleep". Just watch you wean slowly as my DDs systems took a while to adjust after the efficiency of EBF complete throughput and were prone to constipation with solids.

Snarkhunt thank you for the tip on brestmilk for red bums as it has never occurred to me but makes sense and my 3rd baby is due soon, which is why I am reacquainting myself with the "how to".

15 nappies a day with at least one escaping pooh made me glad I had chosen disposables rather than reusable nappies!

SnarkHunt Fri 29-Jul-11 14:05:43

It doesn't fix your wardrobe: I have NO tops that fit properly!
Red bum tip is no credit to me - we had a bit of soreness and I tried every cream until someone suggested bm, apparently it acts a bit like live yoghurt. I tried live yoghurt too! Also honey is antifungal and soothing, and egg white as a barrier cream. My baby's nappies are good enough to eat [bleurgh!]

Babieseverywhere Fri 29-Jul-11 21:18:32

If the poo "keeps coming" hold baby on a potty to catch it. Why waste nappies ?

orchidee Sat 30-Jul-11 17:58:55

Babieseverywhere - good idea thanks. Sometimes there's just so much in the old nappy that I think "right there cannot be any more to come" but a few minutes later, more explosions in the nappy dept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now