Talk

Advanced search

Latch issue

(9 Posts)
kellieb7 Fri 29-Jul-11 09:11:50

DD has had 2 teeth finally appear and this appears to have affected her latch. She is still getting milk (although it appears to be taking longer) but it is not as comfortable for me and I am worried about becoming sore. I went to a breastfeeding clinic yesterday and the lady progressed to man handle both my breast and DD who was clearly unhappy about this and refused to latch at all until we got home sad. Should I get further help or will DD be able to adjust herself when she gets used to having these new teeth?

crispyseaweed Fri 29-Jul-11 09:17:03

I have breast fed 3 babies,
I cant say for sure whether your DD will adjust, but hopefully she will do so , as I can imagine you really dont want to give her formula in a bottle.
Dont despair, stay calm, give i time, keep persevering and wishing you the best of luck. xx

kellieb7 Fri 29-Jul-11 09:20:56

Thanks for the reply, bottle's are not an option as she has always refused. She drinks EBM and water from a cup which I can do for a while to give my boobs a rest for a while, except I bloody hate expressing confused

BornSicky Fri 29-Jul-11 09:27:31

i have this issue with teeth. have found that if i unlatch baby and then offer again each time he bites then he is slowly learning not to bite.

have found that he's more likely to bite when comfort feeding as well, so it's helping me understand his feeding patterns better.

gl - it's really ouch the first few times they teeth on your nipple!

Yesmynameis Fri 29-Jul-11 09:31:17

OP how old is your DD?

Dreadful woman at bf clinic, poor you and your DD, what a nightmare.

To reassure you, having teeth in itself doesn't affect bf. However her mouth or gums might be sore, or it might just feel a bit different for her. Might therefore be a temporary thing which will settle on it's own, but like you say it is best to get things checked to be sure.

To be honest, as a general rule of thumb if it doesn't feel quite right it probably isn't. Trust your instincts, if bf is uncomfortable you are right to get help before you get sore.

Could I suggest try again somewhere else, not the manhandling woman. Is there a Baby Cafe near you or the helplines can put you in touch with rl help locally?

kellieb7 Fri 29-Jul-11 09:31:20

It's not so much biting yet (although that will probably be next), its more that she appears to not have a good latch and will slip off the breast and end up just sucking my nipple, I unlatch her when this happens but DD is a madame and really objects to this and will usually refuse to feed then for a while.

kellieb7 Fri 29-Jul-11 09:37:25

Yesmynameis DD is 7 months and apart from an initial shaky start (DD was prem and we had a few health issues) breastfeeding has being fabulous and I have being so lucky in regards to complications etc. Breastfeeding has always being comfortable so I know its not right now. In regards to seeing someone else, I would like to but my HV hasn't got a clue (told me in the early days to top up DD with Formula despite great weight gain etc [sceptical]) so I don't really trust her. I live in the middle of no where so groups etc are not easy to come by, I will have a look later to see whats available. Thanks again for the advice x

Yesmynameis Fri 29-Jul-11 09:51:26

Kellieb7, you could give La Leche League a call on 0845 120 2918 ?

They should be able to help you access some reliable rl help locally. Good luck smile

kellieb7 Fri 29-Jul-11 09:52:19

Thanks, I will give them a call x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now