Talk

Advanced search

Any tips to help improve my supply?

(11 Posts)
Newmum2011 Fri 29-Jul-11 08:56:30

Hi

I have been exclusively BF my 23 week DD from the start and haven't had any problems whatsoever - tons of milk and able to express loads for DH to give a bottle each night. I started weaning this week, just a small puree at lunchtime and I don't know if it is a coincidence but my milk supply has really dropped. I can no longer express milk, at any time of day, and I'm worried that DD is getting enough from me. I really don't want to stop BF now and am finding it quite upsetting that I can't provide enough for her.

I'm drinking plenty of fluids and trying to eat healthily too.

Any advice on how I can improve this?

Thanks.

BornSicky Fri 29-Jul-11 09:23:35

yoiu could try offering milk before giving any solids. i don't think solids should be replacing milk feeds at this stage.

also try offering more milk feeds throughout the day.

gl!

RitaMorgan Fri 29-Jul-11 09:25:27

Is there any reason to think your supply has dropped other than not being able to express? I believe it is very unusual for your supply to suddenly dip once breastfeeding is established - the exceptions being if you are pregnant or just before your period.

Yesmynameis Fri 29-Jul-11 09:46:01

OP things changed for me around this mark too. Boobs no longer felt full between feeds and couldn't express as much. Stopped leaking too, which was a bonus smile

Still plenty of milk though (although I doubted it at the time) but we are still going strong at 9m.

Is she otherwise feeding well, how many milk feeds in 24 hours? Is she gaining weight?

If all else is well I wouldn't worry that your milk is drying up purely based on the expressing.

Newmum2011 Fri 29-Jul-11 12:04:03

Thanks for the replies.

I do have PCOS and my symptoms have kicked back in now the pregnancy hormones have left my body - but that has been going on for the last couple of months and I've been feeding ok so I'm not sure if it could be that.

She seems to be feeding well, although has started waking more at night for feeds. She generally feeds in short bursts, she's always only done a max of 10 mins as my milk has come so quickly and she guzzles!! We do about 6 or 7 feeds during the day/night and then a bottle of expressed milk at bedtime as well.

I've tried putting her to the breast a couple of extra times this morning following your advice BS and she has taken a small drink each time so I'll keep that up throughout the day. I think when she feeds she gets more than when I express. I used to be able to feed her from one breast though and have milk left even when she was full but now she is taking from both breasts at each feed and I don't think she is getting an awful lot more.

Thanks ladies!

duvet Fri 29-Jul-11 13:04:58

Sounds like your doing great, but yeah boobs can change so prob no concern, well done on coming this far, I found it much easier from this stage onwards, but if you are concerned fenugreek is good for upping supply.

MigGril Fri 29-Jul-11 13:17:54

Could possibly be a growth spurt, as you say she's waking more at night and your not able to express (although this is no indication of supply) she's maybe taking everything. Just keep feeding, once BF is this well estabibished if would be very unuseal to have a supply issue.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Jul-11 13:22:29

Like others have said, not being able to express as much and not feeling as full is absolutely no indication that your DD is getting less milk or is hungry.

Feeding her more is the best way to increase your supply and I think LLL recommend bfing one hour before offering solids.

If you think she is ready for solids have you thought about BLW? Just asking because my DD ate a ham sandwich at 23 weeks grin

Newmum2011 Fri 29-Jul-11 13:51:07

Thanks for the encouragement!

@JJJ - I started weaning this week and she is LOVING everything I give her so far! Made me laugh about your DD - good girl! I'm mainly doing purees at the moment but am going to mix it with BLW. I tried her with a stick of cucumber today and she didn't like the feel of it in her hand so wouldn't hold it but loved gumming it - cried when it was gone!

I'll keep feeding her as often as I can.

My main concern is about not being able to express enough so her dad can give her a bottle at bedtime. I really don't want to introduce formula but I don't want him to miss out on the chance of feeding her as they both really enjoy it (and it gives me a little break too!).

BornSicky Fri 29-Jul-11 14:12:48

I found the best to express for me is the morning, but i've also expressed small amounts throughout the day and used it to make up one feed.

Hth

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Jul-11 17:45:26

Just wondering if you express whilst feeding or after as for me I seemed to get more if I expressed whilst DD was plugged in on the other side.

It would be a shame for DH to miss out but if you really can't express enough could you feed her and then he gives her what you have managed to express and then he could do the bath etc? It doesn't have to be just the bottle than gives them chance to bond and you to rest smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now