Talk

Advanced search

Someone please tell me that sorting her tongue tie will sort the pain!

(3 Posts)
nitnatnaboo Thu 28-Jul-11 23:16:37

5 years ago I fed DS1 for 8mo using nipple shields as he could not latch without them. No issues with supply at all, but it was really painful for me. Was determined to do it without them this time.

DD1 was born 1 week ago. After difficulty latching on and staying latched, a tongue tie was diagnosed. She is feeding well with a nipple shield and had only lost 3oz on her first weigh-in, but I can see that her bottom lip is not turned out and it is absolutely killing me where her lip meets my nipple each time we feed and it is making my nipples lopsided during feeds. I have a crack on one side which I never got with DS1.

We're waiting for an "urgent" referral to have the tie snipped but not heard anything yet.

Could anyone who knows about these things comment on whether snipping the tie is going to make a dramatic difference to the latch and hence the pain. Am using lansinoh and keeping things moist in the meantime. Any other healing tips would be much appreciated. Those silverette things look like they would really hurt to put them near my nipples - are they any good?

RitaMorgan Thu 28-Jul-11 23:25:39

Here are the NICE guidelines on tongue-tie. Most women see an improvement.

nitnatnaboo Fri 29-Jul-11 00:27:15

Thanks for that Rita - the stats on improvement after the procedure look good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now