Talk

Advanced search

Should I wake the baby? And how much sick is too much sick?

(16 Posts)
takethatlady Thu 28-Jul-11 17:15:28

Hi! I am exclusively BFing my 3 1/2 week old and last had her weighed 10 days ago - she had put on a pound since birth and was chubbing up nicely (she still seems to be, though I haven't had her weighed again yet). The last two nights she has slept from midnight until 6.30 and 12.30 until 7, and I didn't wake her to feed her as the HV said just to go with it if she doesn't want feeding at night. She feeds every two hours (on average) through the day and I'm doing it on demand. I always let her finish the first breast and don't generally offer the second unless she still seems hungry. She tends to feed a lot in the evening and this often results in a big vomit just before bed time (she possets quite a bit through the day, but this is loads), though she often then feeds again afterwards.

So my questions are: 1. is the HV talking rubbish? Should I wake the baby half way through the night and feed her to keep my supply up? Or just be pleased when I am getting sleep?! 2. Is it normal for a baby to spit up lots of milk and to have (on average) one big spew-up per day? She isn't bothered at all by it, she seems happy and healthy in all other respects, and she's making plenty of wet and dirty nappies which are all mustard yellow.

Thanks!

Incapinka Thu 28-Jul-11 19:02:59

I personally would be pleased with this and am rather envious. So long as your LO is getting plenty during the day let her sleep at night.

Incapinka Thu 28-Jul-11 19:05:00

Oh and re the spew I would have thought that as long as she is putting on weight and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies then that's fine too. My little chap sometimes spews when he has eaten too much greedy little thing!

ginmakesitallok Thu 28-Jul-11 19:06:21

Like incapinka I'd count my blessings! Both my DDs were sicky babies - didn't bother them in the slightest - though my washing machine never stopped. As long as she seems happy nad healthy then I'd say keep doing what you're doing you lucky lucky woman!!

Yesmynameis Thu 28-Jul-11 19:19:07

I'm not an expert, if baby is a good feeder and gaining weight then I'd say there's no need to wake them at night. I never did with my dd.

She was also a massive spewer, projectile across the room some of the time. I spent 6 months with a muslin over my shoulder! Because it was so often I used to get her weighed pretty regularly just to keep an eye, but again so long as she was still gaining weight and not upset by it I didn't worry too much

Congratulations on your new baby smile

KeepOnSwimming Thu 28-Jul-11 19:39:32

Re the sick, my 4 week DD is regularly sick, and being a worried first time mum I asked everyone this question - midwife x2, Health visitor x 2, GP, and peadiatric registrar are all unconcerned about the several times daily vomiting as long as she is putting on weight and seems otherwise fine. Registrar said they only worry about green vomit, weight loss or dehydration!

KeepOnSwimming Thu 28-Jul-11 20:04:38

Oh and I'm very jealous of the sleeping! I'm lucky if I get 2 1/2 hours....

takethatlady Fri 29-Jul-11 10:23:59

Ah thank you ladies smile That sets my mind at rest (if not my washing machine!) Had a busier night last night so I'm not counting my chickens - there's no pattern yet! And don't be too jealous - I opened my mouth to say 'wow' the other day and she was sick straight into it!

Thank you again smile And congrats to you all on your LOs too smile

Yesmynameis Fri 29-Jul-11 10:26:47

Sick straight in your mouth?!!!!!!!!!! grin

I thought I had done well when dd projectile pucked straight down my cleavage in a restaurant, but you definately take 1st prize for that one!! Brilliant!

BettyBum Fri 29-Jul-11 14:08:02

Takethatlady-my LO is 4 weeks tomorrow and I wanted to ask the same question about sleep so thankyou! I'm in a similar situation in that he feeds about every 2 or 3 hrs during day but last few nights has been sleeping from about midnight until morning. He is a big baby and is putting on LOTS of weight which is reassuring, plus everybodys replies on here.

You wait, we will both have horrendous nights tonight!! grin

takethatlady Fri 29-Jul-11 18:35:18

Ha ha bettybum I bet we will! I bet I'll look back on this thread after six months of sleepless nights and wish I'd never asked!

PMSL yesmynameis - the cleavage-puke is pretty impressive too. Let's just say that your own curdled breastmilk mixed with stomach acid is NOT a nice taste. It's like you're sucking on metal, and you've also eaten too much pic'n'mix and it's repeating on you grin

fraktious Fri 29-Jul-11 18:41:02

TTL enjoy it, it probably w

fraktious Fri 29-Jul-11 18:44:01

hmm DS gas quite unerring accuracy with the flailing hand whilst feeding!

Anyway it probably won't last (sick and sleeping) and if she continues sleeping count your blessings! DS is a fountain of sick, we do at least a full laundry load a day and 20 muslins isn't really enough, but the gorging-vomming-gorging does wonders for my supply!

takethatlady Fri 29-Jul-11 19:13:08

fraktious that's what I keep thinking - both about it not lasting (sleeping and vomiting!) and about the keeping-up of supply! Next week I'll be on here begging for information about how to get her to sleep after her last feed, I'm sure!

takethatlady Fri 29-Jul-11 19:13:37

And grin for your DS's computer skills grin

fraktious Fri 29-Jul-11 19:30:46

Touch screens aren't designed for BFing. Little hand flies out at just the right spot for "post message" if on left boob! And little hands fly out a lot these days wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now