Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about thrush

(4 Posts)
trufflesbum Thu 28-Jul-11 10:52:34

I'm having a couple of problems breastfeeding my 8 week old, so was seen by an infact feeding advisor yesterday. She thought I had thrush of the nipple and advised a trip to the GP. GP agreed and prescribed cream. It wasn't until I got home that I wondered whether DS needs any treatment too? Is he likely to to reinfect me? He doesn't have any symptoms, but I would assume that doens't mean he doesn't have it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

aswellasyou Thu 28-Jul-11 11:29:56

There is an oral suspension you can give to your baby as well as Fluconazole tablets that treat it from the inside, unlike the creams.

It sounds like you don't have it too badly if they just thought you had it. I ended up needing a fortnight of Fluconazole tablets to get rid of it and I was very lax in giving my daughter the oral suspenson-it still went away never to return! I found the cream just reduced the thrush for about a week and then it would come back.

RitaMorgan Thu 28-Jul-11 12:49:32

If it's just your nipples then cream for you and oral gel (daktarin) or suspension (nystatin) for the baby - daktarin gel is generally more effective but lots of drs prefer to prescribe nystatin for some reason. If you aren't both treated then you will just reinfect each other.

If you get breast pain and the thrush gets into your ducts you might need the course of fluconazole.

trufflesbum Thu 28-Jul-11 21:51:44

Thanks. I've got pain in my breasts too, and as well as my nipples being sore and in shreds from latch problems, the thrush is hurting pretty much all the time, so perhaps the cream alone won't be enough. Ah well, off back to the GP tomorrow to get him seen to as well sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now