Talk

Advanced search

Breast-feeding when pregnant

(5 Posts)
Dozeyland Thu 28-Jul-11 10:19:23

How does it work, (in regards to effect on your body and yor unborn child?)

I am breatsfeeding d9mo, and would love to conceive maybe end of this year but she still feeds frequently

EauRouge Thu 28-Jul-11 10:54:14

Not sure exactly what you mean by how it works, this book explains everything really well and this site has loads of info.

Some mothers find they have supply problems in pregnancy and some mothers find their toddler weans due to the taste of the milk but neither of these were an issue for us and now I'm tandem feeding my 2 DDs.

DD2 was conceived when DD1 was about 19 mo, I became pregnant as soon as DD1 was night-weaned.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 28-Jul-11 14:35:58

No affect on your unborn child. It used to be thought that the oxytocin released during bf might trigger mc or labour. But it is now known that this can not happen due to the oxytocin receptors on the uterus being inactive until labour is imminent.
Body wise you may have sore nips, your supply and taste of your milk may change. Some women find it dries up altogether but some infants don't care and carry on anywsy. My milk is now salty but ds doesn't care...though he does break off for a drink of water! Your milk changes to colostrum normally around 28 wks i believe (though i still have usual milk at 32.) Often your milk comes in a wee bit quicker after birth...that's it i think.

As eaurouge says some toddlers self wean when the mother is pg, but they might have self weaned in that time anyway. Especially if they were a bit older.

Ds was 10m when i fell pg, and had no intention of self weaning (which doesn't really happen at that age anyway). He's still going strong, i'm due in two months.

There is a bf while pg thread if you want a look or to pop in. smile

Poweredbypepsi Thu 28-Jul-11 15:59:34

I got pregnant while breastfeeding a 10 month old. I am now 8 weeks and since dd is now 12 months i have decided to wean. I know many people feed through pregnancy but i was getting so sore and from very early on she started nipping and pulling really badly tbh I just couldnt face the feeds anymore. She is havign milk in a beaker in the day and a bottle at night now. We failed totally to get her to take a bottle when she as younger but when we tried now she had no problem at all.

She still has a morning breastfeed at the moment but i am hoping to cut that out in the next week or so.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 28-Jul-11 19:17:33

poweredbypepsi i had really sore nipples at the start but it cleared up around 12wks...obviously it varies for everyone but just thought i'd mention in case the weaning proved challenging...the pain might not last. Good luck. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now