Talk

Advanced search

Milk coming in after being induced and c section - worried I have a hungry baby

(12 Posts)
MilyP Thu 28-Jul-11 08:36:53

Baby was born Sunday evening by c section but after being induced failed to get me into established labour despite being on a really high dosage. I have heard that this might delay the milk coming in. But how long? I am worried my baby is hungry and not getting enough yet. Midwife visited yesterday and said that the baby had lost slightly more than the 10% of birth weight but thought this was ok as been having pooey nappies and she had a look at my feeding and said baby was doing really well - latching on properly and guzzling down.

However since then when I have fed though DD just wants to keep going, and I am pretty certain after a while nothing is coming out. She gets a good go each side, but still wants more. So I have been continuing to offer more which she is taking but certain there is nothing left. This seems to just go on, she keeps wanting more. Then sometimes she is pulling away, getting upset, and sucking her hands. Try to stop and just comfort her but she won't settle and shows signs she still wants to be fed.

Should I try and give her some formula milk if she still seems hungry after feeding just until the milk comes in? I know no one likes giving BF babies formula, but really worried she is just starving hungry and just don't know when my milk will come in. She won't stop crying and checked everything else and she still just seems to want to feed.

HarrietJones Thu 28-Jul-11 08:41:40

That's how baby gets the milk to come. Feed continuously!

They only take a few ml at first as tummy is so tiny. So need to refill so often. It's takes 3-5 days for milk to come in so expect your Jordan moment very soon.

SarahScot Thu 28-Jul-11 08:41:57

Firstly, congratulations on your DD.

By staying on longer and longer she is trying to get your milk to come in. Just let her suck and suck and suck for as long as she can/wants to. At only 4 or 5 days old it's okay for them to still be on colostrum, it's nornal for your milk to take up to a week to come in I think.

If you feel you HAVE to give her formula then do, I know how distressing it is to see your baby unhappy. However be aware that it could interfere with your milk supply.

I'm no expert, perhaps someone cleverer will come along soon, but I didn't want to leave you unanswered.

pyjamalover Thu 28-Jul-11 09:21:48

I feel your pain! I have a hungry baby too (he is 8 months now) and those first few days before my milk came in were tough as he clearly wanted more than he was getting. If I'd had any formula in the house I would have given it on night 3 just to get some rest. In retrospect am happy I didn't, still BF now, it does get easier I promise.

you don't need to give formula, she will be getting colostrum and your milk is very likely to come in in the next couple of days. if you want to though you can.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

peedieworky Thu 28-Jul-11 19:53:50

Hi - I had the same thing! ECS after being induced. Milk came in on day 6 and prior to that I just resigned myself to bed and skin to skin! 9 weeks on and to be honest it's all a bit of a hazy blur! What I will say is that everyone has been astonished by what a good milk supply I have (DS was almost 9lb at birth & has piled on the pounds ever since!). Stick with it - you're doing great!

peedieworky Thu 28-Jul-11 20:05:58

Oh - and another plus point of constant feeding was I never got the engorgement everyone else says is so uncomfy. Literally, I just woke with a start as I realised he had been sleeping for 4 (yes 4!) hours. The wee man had a contented sleep that naptime grin

itsnotpossibleisit Thu 28-Jul-11 22:26:05

MyliP. I also had a emergency c-section and my milk took ages to come, I would say at least 6 days. I do remember breastfeeding DD almost constantly but I can assure you it will come to an end. DD is 24 months next week and she is still breastfeeding (never thought I would be this long to be honest) but I have the feeling we will be stopping at some point soon as she does not ask everyday anymore, which in a way it is a relieve. Just keep feeding on demand as long as your little one wants and as often as she wants. You will see it gets better.

Congratulations

MonkeysPunk Thu 28-Jul-11 22:39:47

I have breastfed all my kids - and was happy to top up with a few teaspoons of formulae here and there after a day (from a syringe or dropper - not a bottle) - knowing the milk supply didn't really arrive until day 4 (for me). I still held my babies a lot and gave them free access to the breast too - so plenty of stimulation to help the milk supply along too.
Your temperature goes up a little just before the milk comes in - so have a look at your temperature chart (assuming your temp is being taken daily).
I watched this dvd recently and in the interviews with the African mother she mentioned that when her babies were born they gave them goats milk while they were waiting for their milk to come in.

MonkeysPunk Thu 28-Jul-11 22:40:48

PS my last baby was a c-section too - and the milk came on day 3!

MilyP Fri 29-Jul-11 14:43:19

Thanks for all the advice. Think I was leaving her a bit long between feeds too as she was sleeping. So that was making it worse as really hungry and not much to offer. So didn't give any formula in the end, just boob more regularly

But milk came in today... Just call me cabbage tits! Feeding every 3 hours and feeding well and already noticing the strong sedative effects. Now if I could just get her to sleep somewhere other than in our arms.....

PirateDinosaur Fri 29-Jul-11 14:51:49

Great news!

Someone on here once described the constant feeding as the equivalent of leaving a note out for the milkman -- "two extra pints please". So you will get lots of constant feeding over the first few weeks and then it is likely to space out, with occasionally a few days of renewed guzzling when they are gearing up for a growth spurt.

itsnotpossibleisit Fri 29-Jul-11 15:43:16

CONGRATULATIONS MilyP. Now just sit back and relax you are going to be very busy for the next few days.

Enjoy the great feeling of being able to feed your child smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now