Talk

Advanced search

Two comments in the last week when BF in public. Both nice!

(10 Posts)
FrumpyPumpy Wed 27-Jul-11 13:49:02

[shocked]

in a cafe last week, older gent looked as he came out of loos. I steeled myself for a comment, and he said how lovely it was to see someone feeding in public. He was a GP for x years and spent his working life trying to get people to BF (not the place for comments about ongoing support and drop off rates etc). Was very surprised and gave me a real boost.

Yesterday trying in some sacks clothes and had lovely chat with attendant in fitting rooms. Again, boosted my confidence.

Didn't get this last time round in 9m, it's very nice though!

FrumpyPumpy Wed 27-Jul-11 13:49:45

Or even shock

organiccarrotcake Wed 27-Jul-11 13:53:26

grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 28-Jul-11 08:23:16

That's lovely TrickyWoo smile

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Thu 28-Jul-11 09:30:00

I have only ever had lovely comments. Most recently, I was with a friend and she was feeding her newborn and I was feeding DS on a bench down a country lane and a man said 'what a lovely sight'. I'm glad people feel they can say something (as long as it's positive!)

ShowOfHands Thu 28-Jul-11 09:37:03

Oh how lovely. I had lots of nice comments from 'how nice to see it' to 'well done'. The only negative comment I had wasn't actually said to me and was met very satisfyingly with a nice comment. I was bfing dd at the GPs' surgery, she was 8 weeks and we'd been waiting over an hour for our appointment so she was fractious and hot. BFing calmed her right down. A very cross looking old man stomped over to the receptionist and barked 'THAT woman over there is BREASTfeeding her child in full view of the waiting room' (you couldn't see anything btw, I had a muslin over us and was wearing a bfing top). The receptionist was fabulous, glanced over and grinned, declaring 'So she is. Isn't it brilliant!' Well done that woman.

I also remember preparing myself for a negative comment when I needed antibiotics and had to explain to our fairly old, traditional, about to retire GP that I was still bfing 2.6yr old dd. His response was 'bloody brilliant, you just don't see enough of it these days. It's the best thing for them, natural term feeding'. He is made of 95% tweed and has a cane ffs. I was blown away. Taught me a valuable lesson that encounter.

WoTmania Thu 28-Jul-11 09:41:28

I only ever had nice comments too. How nice for you smile

yummytummy Thu 28-Jul-11 14:53:47

hi, great to hear nice comments. really helps when you are unsure and struggling at beginning of bf. i had a lovely comment too. dd was about 9 weeks and was feeding while having lunch in a cafe. an older lady was looking and smiling then when she finished came over and said "its so lovely to see a tiny baby at the breast, well done!" it really made my day!!

Graciescotland Thu 28-Jul-11 15:06:09

I got a lot of "good for you" and "your giving him the best start"when DS was small. I was so surprised the first time as I noticed an elderly woman watching me feed DS with ( I thought) a cat's bum face so when she came over, I was ready to defend my right to bf in public but she was lovely!

Oddly enough no one says anything now DS is a chunky 11 month old.

Elpis Thu 28-Jul-11 23:32:48

DD (2.3) doesn't feed much during the day, but she did ask for some milk while I was lunching with a friend in Fortnum and Mason last week. No one seemed to notice or object... The only negative comments I've ever had were from my uncle, who thinks breastfeeding toddlers isn't 'natural', and a rather silly younger woman at a dinner party when DD was about four months old. But the table then proceeded to smoke all over us, so we left early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now