Talk

Advanced search

Breastmilk and water?

(6 Posts)
lynsey1978 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:05:26

My little one is 8 weeks old and im breastfeeding. With this hot weather she is wanting to feed more frequently to cool her down.
Someone suggested giving her a little bit of boiled cooled down water as will help her thirst. Ive read that breastfed babies dont need water and should be allowed to feed frequently, which isnt always that practical, has anyone else heard anything about water, whether too or not?

rainbowinthesky Wed 27-Jul-11 13:08:08

No need for water. Babies in very hot countries dont need it either (as long as bf).

SingForSomalia Wed 27-Jul-11 13:10:40

You do not need to give water until your baby is weaning onto food at 6 - 8mths.

I remember asking this question, See this link:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-water.html

This is a great website for info. I've breastfed three children, the first was a few months old during a very hot summer - 2003. My last baby we took to Spain and I wondered about water too.

Breastmilk is 88% water so you do not need to offer water and its not good for them when very young (see link above). Just offer your breast more and let them feed as they need it. You will find some feeds are very short and they just require the foremilk (thirst quenching).

SingForSomalia Wed 27-Jul-11 13:11:12

www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-water.html

organiccarrotcake Wed 27-Jul-11 13:15:35

Actually, water will actively remove some of the protection in the gut that BM is giving her. While continuing to BF will put this protection back, there's just no point in offering water because as the previous poster says, there's just the right amount in BM. Just offer frequently and let her "snack".

lynsey1978 Sun 31-Jul-11 21:23:53

Thank you all for your advice, wont be giving water just letting the her feed more often when she needs to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now