Talk

Advanced search

A few perhaps silly questions about breastfeeding

(4 Posts)
Marabou Wed 27-Jul-11 12:33:30

Sorry if this has already been covered here or if I'm ignorant..

I was just wondering about the amount of breastmilk babies take in at different stages of their development. I remember reading somewhere that the amount of milk a baby eats in a day doesn't generally change once the milk production has been estanblished, but rather the consistency of the milk, which changes to meet the growing baby's needs. I just wanted to know if this is true. So if my baby now generally eats more or less 4 oz a feed (he is 11 weeks), will this stay the same until he starts eating solids as well?

I was also wondering about expressed breastmilk. If the consistency of the milk changes to accommodate the baby's development, is milk I have pumped and frozen two months ago still going to be adequate for the baby now?

Albrecht Wed 27-Jul-11 12:48:32

Frozen milk is still very very good for your baby now, much better than adequate.

Not sure about the specifics of your qus but would imagine it varies day to day but would average out? Also remember they may not drop milk feeds when they start solids, for a long time. Its about taste to begin with

organiccarrotcake Wed 27-Jul-11 13:02:41

marabou the amount he takes in an individual feed will change pretty much every feed, in the same way as the amount that you eat or drink will change each time. Hot days, cold days, him feeling well or ill, all these things will also affect his appetite for breastmilk.

The amount he takes over a 24 hour period will roughly remain the same, though, with some variability.

Milk you froze a few months ago will be absolutely fine for him now, assuming it's not his only milk, or not his only milk for more than a few days. The change won't be significant enough.

Marabou Wed 27-Jul-11 13:54:30

Thanks for your replies, this clears this out for me smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now