Talk

Advanced search

Moving to follow on in a sippy cup

(5 Posts)
lucyr78 Wed 27-Jul-11 10:01:30

Hi, I'm going back to work in a couple of months and so am gradually introducing follow on milk to my 6 month old son. I want to keep bf twice a day even when working but move him to follow on during the day time. I have been advised by hv to use a sippy cup rather than a bottle now but I cant get him to take more than an ounce or so at a time and certainly not a full 5-7oz feed. I let him carry the cup about with him and keep sipping but understand that it goes off after about an hour so have to throw it away. Does anyone have any advice on how to move on to follow on without using a bottle but at the same time making sure they get enough?! Wouldn't want him to get dehydrated.....
Thanks

EPPP Wed 27-Jul-11 10:30:20

If you think he knows how to drink from the cup then you don't need to worry too much as he will drink more if he needs it. If you are still bf then he possibly doesn't need much. Once he starts on solids a 7oz feed is really big especially if he is bf as well.

lucyr78 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:29:51

thanks. Yes, that's what I thought re 7oz feed as he eats tonnes! I'm bf feeding him 4 times a day now but wont be able to do the 2 day time feeds when I'm back at work so that's why I'm a bit worried he wont be getting enough from the cup. Should I just keep filling it up and let him have it to sip from whenever he likes then or just give him a cup at say 10.30am and again at 3pm after his lunch time nap? He's still learning how to sip so most of it goes over him anyway!

EPPP Thu 28-Jul-11 13:55:45

I wouldn't let him sip at it whenever he likes as you'll just land up with milk everywhere. I'd do that with water though.If you're not going back to work for a couple of months there's plenty of time to work out what suits him.

RitaMorgan Thu 28-Jul-11 20:37:43

It took about a month-6 weeks to get to the point where my ds will now sit on my lap and drink 3oz from a cup in one go! At first I was lucky if he drank an oz over an hour wandering about having sips, so it does take some persistence. I think 3oz per feed is a bit more realistic than 5-7oz though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now