Talk

Advanced search

Suspicious about milk on sale

(12 Posts)
elkiedee Tue 26-Jul-11 23:52:57

I was a bit disturbed this evening going to the shop for something else - my 2 are well past needing formula milk but I noticed in 2 different shops Nestle powdered milk which says nothing about babies on the tin, but on sale on the same shelves as SMA etc at less than half the price. The price has gone up in a few years from expensive to astronomic and I live in a generally poor area. The wording saying "not suitable for babies under 12 months" is tiny and totally buried on the packaging.

I'm concerned that an unsafe product is being sold and wondering if I should contact local HVs/Trading Standards and what Nestle are up to?

Thoughts?

MumblingRagDoll Wed 27-Jul-11 01:34:13

Yes! Did you speak to the shop owners? That would be my first port of call.

I would demand they move it! Is it the powdered milk some people keep in stock for tea etc?? I just googled Nestle Powdered Milk and all I got were foreign versions....called NIDO....

TruthSweet Wed 27-Jul-11 08:40:35

elkie - Does this look familiar? Nestle have form for getting shops to stock their powdered milk with the infant formulas....

TruthSweet Wed 27-Jul-11 08:41:52

Yes I think you should contact your local trading standards (though council).

TheRealMBJ Wed 27-Jul-11 09:22:22

I would definitely complain. Is it a small, independent shop or a large chain?

If a small independent the owners may not even be aware what they are doing, though large chains should be. I would complain via trading standards and also have a chat with Mike from Baby Milk Action about it.

organiccarrotcake Wed 27-Jul-11 14:27:25

OK, this is NOT allowed. It is NOT allowed for infant formulas to be displayed next to powdered milks which are not suitable for infants.

If you can, speak to the shop urgently to see if they will move it (explaining why, and how it could seriously endanger a baby if it were bought in error may make them do it). Otherwise if you get no joy it would need to be trading standards - in which case you'll need a photo.

elkiedee Thu 28-Jul-11 13:20:18

Thanks for replies - it is called Nido. This is two of my local corner shops.

MumblingRagDoll Thu 28-Jul-11 13:22:53

So what are you going to do?

elkiedee Thu 28-Jul-11 13:33:28

I've emailed Baby Milk Action, I need to look up Trading Standards locally.

tiktok Thu 28-Jul-11 13:40:01

You need to take a pic, really. My guess is the shop just doesn't know - though it's puzzling that you have seen it in 2 ships. This is not a common problem in the UK, happily.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Thu 28-Jul-11 13:42:43

I've seen this before too, in greengrocers/corner shops in London. In fact I posted on here about it at the time. IME it is actually pretty common in some areas.

There's a picture on one of my old profiles, probably the QueenOfFuckingEverything one.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Thu 28-Jul-11 13:44:54

Old thread on same issue but seem to have lost the photo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now