Talk

Advanced search

Stupid boobs won't let milk out for my breast pump!

(13 Posts)
aswellasyou Tue 26-Jul-11 22:49:08

Just a little moan. grin

I've been attempting to express some milk for 45 minutes and I've got a whole 30ml out.hmm Then my daughter insists on being fed because she can see Mummy's boob-she instantly starts gulping away like there's loads of milk! So I've just kicked her off again so I can attempt to express some more now she's got it flowing and nothing.

Why can't breastpumps be as good at getting the milk out as babies?! I'm only trying to get some so my sister can see if it helps my niece's impetigo
and I can put some on my daughter's patch of sunburn on her arm. 30mls will just have to do.

tiktok Tue 26-Jul-11 23:29:32

Have you tried hand expressing?

Some women find it easier smile

NingNang Tue 26-Jul-11 23:41:34

If you can manage it, try feeding from one side and expressing from the other at the same time.

Hand expressing was always easier for me too.

rosepie Wed 27-Jul-11 05:48:15

I was never able to express milk, it was too much of a flaff for me.

BF on sunburn - I'm intrigued! Tell me more, tell me more.

peedieworky Wed 27-Jul-11 08:00:49

Totally agree with the express while feeding suggestion. Also (and this may sound weird..) I used to have a little sound clip on my phone of my DS's "hungry cry" which seemed to work too!

tortilla Wed 27-Jul-11 08:02:49

I could usually double my output by expressing while feeding. It takes a bit of effort to find the right position but it really works.

PlentyOfPubgardens Wed 27-Jul-11 08:13:49

I never managed to express either. Tried everything - electric and hand pumps, hand expressing, expressing while feeding. Oh well, I still successfully BF for 2 years per DC. As I wasn't going out to work at the time it wasn't a huge problem.

Good luck - sounds like you only need a little drop of milk anyway.

RitaMorgan Wed 27-Jul-11 08:30:09

Mine won't either, even when away from my ds for 48 hours and absolutely bursting. I actually had to use my own mouth once to relieve the pressure blush

blackteaplease Wed 27-Jul-11 09:58:55

I only ever managed to pump first thing in the morning.

Impetigo is quite infectious, and easily treated with fucidin which you can get on prescription form the doctors.

DuelingFanjo Wed 27-Jul-11 10:02:31

I pumped while the baby was on the other breast the other day and it was amazing, though he kept laughing.

aswellasyou Wed 27-Jul-11 10:18:50

Rita!shockgrin
Blacktea, we took my niece to the doctor yesterday and she's got the medication for it. We just thought that seen as breastmilk seems to help everything, it was worth a go as well.
Rosepie, I remember reading something about it while I was pregnant. I remember thinking, 'Great, I can just squirt my own milk all over myself when I get burnt'.grin
I don't think I'd be able to feed at the same time. She's just too wriggly and kept trying to help by grabbing the bottle and pressing the + button. Never the - button. hmm

organiccarrotcake Wed 27-Jul-11 14:22:41

Bloody hell Rita what size are your norks?? shock

Love the mental image. Not that I've not tried myself (have no qualms about drinking my own milk - why should I?) but even with my DDs there's no way they'll bend that far grin.

OP, there is research to show that expressing while listening to some relaxing music can really help. If you can get DD away from you for 20 minutes (and at the same time get yourself the moon on a stick, no doubt) and shut yourself away into a darkened room with whatever music makes you relax. A piccie of your LO looking gorgeous (probably asleep LOL) is also a good idea.

As has been suggested, expressing while feeding is usually very effective but only if you can keep it away from the bub!

RitaMorgan Wed 27-Jul-11 16:52:19

A very ordinary 34D - maybe I just have a long and bendy neck? Or particularly high up boobs? grin

I'll tell you what though, it is not something you want to be doing first thing in the morning with a hangover. Bleurgh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now