Talk

Advanced search

Reflux mums - BLW is pretty much impossible isn't it?

(10 Posts)
BagofHolly Tue 26-Jul-11 19:45:31

as the title says! I'm right, arent I?

YogaMummy2B Tue 26-Jul-11 20:16:15

Oh Holly I hope not! I was going to have a stab at it. How are your LO's?

beamel Tue 26-Jul-11 20:19:08

Works for us. Why on earth would it be impossible ?

hermioneweasley Tue 26-Jul-11 20:20:56

I don't know how bad your DC's reflux is. Mine both had it 'mildly' - so copious piling after every milk feed, but no failure to thrive. They were both BLW with success. Reflux tends to clear up around 6 months as the stomach muscles strengthen, and the bulkiness of solids tends to help too. FWIW I'm a huge fan of BLW because I am lazy. Leaving DD to pick up her own food is less work for me! People are always commenting on how brilliant she is, erm yes, she's just picking stuff off a tray and shoving it in her mouth....

hermioneweasley Tue 26-Jul-11 20:24:05

Puking, not piling. Flippin' autocorrect

CombineArvester Tue 26-Jul-11 20:26:44

For some babies BLW is better, as the babies prefer the very solid 'dry' food to sloppy purees which sadly for some come back up just as easily as milk! I have done both - puree with slightly less severe silent reflux baby, and BLW and some puree with very severe normal reflux baby. Why not give it a go and if it doesn't work out after a little while, try purees. TBH I found toast after the milk feed one of the best things to keep the bloody stuff down.

If your baby has very severe reflux they might feel stressed about putting things in their mouth, my DC2 had some food aversions and particularly hated purees / sauces with tiny lumps in (Stage 2 I think). So BLW with it being more relaxed might work better. I know sometimes doctors sell weaning as the way to fix reflux, but sadly I didn't find a particular improvement.

BagofHolly Tue 26-Jul-11 20:27:40

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. My twins both have severe reflux, one's is silent, the other has ordinary reflux. They're nearly 7 months and if I followed the "food is fun until they're one" mantra, they can't keep in/down enough volume of milk. If they have solids they keep it all down better, but can't physically feeds themselves enough to make a difference. I did BLW with DC1 but I'm having to relearn everything this time. Our paed told me to wean one twin at 13 weeks! Scary!

BagofHolly Tue 26-Jul-11 20:29:22

Twin1 also has suspected CMPI and paed told me to avoid ALL dairy and wheat, so even an innocent breadstick is off limits. It's so dreary.

fivegomadindorset Tue 26-Jul-11 20:29:50

DS found BLW easier then spoon feeding, didn't spoon feed at all, I think because he could choose what he could put in his mouth he was more comfortable, also he was later than DD at around 7/8 months.

BagofHolly Tue 26-Jul-11 21:00:52

How did you get enough in? If I let them moderate the amounts of solids they'd be on gallons of (prescribed) formula which doesn't stay down anything like as well as spoonfed mush. Am I missing something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now