Talk

Advanced search

teeth

(8 Posts)
LaCiccolina Tue 26-Jul-11 14:59:20

DD has just cut her first tooth (bottom front) Its surprisingly sharp when it catches me or I touch it but we are persevering at present. She's 7 and a bit mths. So far its OK but its not very big yet, am just wondering as the one next to it is popping through too......

How do others cope with the start of actual teeth? Any tips?

If I find I can't continue how do you make the cross over to formula? Am clueless! I feed to sleep generally, does that work with a bottle too?

(Not necessarily going to try but would like some tips as Id feel more comfortable then about persevering for a bit with the bf-ing as Id be doing it because I wanted to rather than because I have no idea about any other options!)

Thanks! :0)

EauRouge Tue 26-Jul-11 15:34:08

DD1 has all her baby teeth now and is still going strong, it can be done grin SOmetimes it can get a bit sore when they cut a new tooth because they tend to adjust their latch a bit. When they are properly feeding it is impossible to bite but you may want to have your little finger ready towards the end of a feed just in case. DD1 has only ever bitten me a couple of times and it was just a tiny nip (no pun intended) really.

LaTristesse Tue 26-Jul-11 15:49:36

DS has 16 teeth (he's 17mo) and everytime he cut a new one we had about a week of adjusting to it (both of us) which was a bit uncomfortable, and at times quite sore. But it does pass. I don't have any experience of formula I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give some advice... Good luck!

LaCiccolina Tue 26-Jul-11 16:42:24

Ah ok well that's better than I hoped! Great!!!

aswellasyou Tue 26-Jul-11 20:03:35

This has made me feel better too.smile My daughter's 10 months with no teeth yet, but I've been worrying about them coming through without her biting my nipples off! If I do get any nips grin, I'll remind myself it's not permanent.

EvaPeron Tue 26-Jul-11 20:47:26

I worried about this too. It wasn't much fun when he was cutting them as he pulled a lot, but we adjusted fairly fast when they came through, I think the canines were worst for us, but you've got ages before those come through (after the 1st set of molars).

If you want some re-assurance - try sucking your own thumb! Even with a full set of adult teeth it still doesn't hurt.

LaCiccolina Wed 27-Jul-11 12:31:26

D'ya know I never thought of that?!

organiccarrotcake Wed 27-Jul-11 13:18:18

Babies cover their lower teeth with their tongue - and the lower jaw is where the force is - so mostly you're protected. It can be that they bite (with or without teeth) and it can be really painful, but biting can be dealt with. Generally, though, feeding a child with teeth is absolutely fine.

Bear in mind how many people feed toddlers and children with a full set of teeth smile

If you want more advice on changing to formula, there's another support for formula feeders thread - they may be able to help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now