Talk

Advanced search

Newborn growth spurts? When is 'normal'?

(11 Posts)
buttonmoon78 Tue 26-Jul-11 12:50:34

I am currently bf dc4 who is 10 days old. I've never been v good at bf before (managed 10wks mixed, 5 months and 5 weeks with the other 3) so the fact that this time it appears to be working well (put on 3oz between days 5&7, weigh in due again today) is a source of great surprise to me!

However, it also means that I feel like a total ignoramus on 'normal' bf issues. So, ds has been reasonably settled in the day until today when he's like a constant dyson. Is a growth spurt likely now? In the bf section it says 3 wks is anecdotally 'normal'.

The whole thing is making me smile all the time - this is def the last baby button and so I went into this thinking if it works great, if not, I won't break my heart (like before!) and the fact that we're getting on well is just a source of constant happiness to me grin

tiktok Tue 26-Jul-11 13:03:42

Lovely to hear you have a new babybutton, button smile

His behaviour sounds not just normal, but very welcome and healthy and with lots of good signs for the future smile

Forget growth spurts happening at specific times - babies can 'decide' to feed more at any time, and it may be because of a need to grow faster, but it can also be a reflection of their need to 'check in' socially and emotionally with mum, and of course that can happen at any time over the next 30 years smile ...with a newborn, it happens via breastfeeding.

Only response is to, er, respond by accepting the 'need to feed' smile

buttonmoon78 Tue 26-Jul-11 14:01:53

That's ok then! I'm fine with the 'need to feed' - gives me more time to sit and gaze adoringly at him!

He's a pretty good size to begin with anyway - 9lb6 at birth so I was expecting him to fill his boots anyway, but he's so far very settled at night, just the evenings he's less happy with which is par for the course anyway in my experience.

I'm just hoping that we continue in this vein. I have to say that the local council bf organisation have been ace - they were round in a flash when I had a few uncomfy issues and adjusted my latch immediately (although only slightly) and I feel like we're off and running now.

After 3 babies where I felt 'what's the fuss with bf - how can people like this?' I finally feel like I 'get it'!

tiktok Tue 26-Jul-11 14:08:04

Lovely!

RitaMorgan Tue 26-Jul-11 14:56:06

I have a feeling that 10 days, 2 weeks, 3 weeks and 6 weeks are touted as "normal" growth spurt times, not sure if that is from due date or birth date though. To be honest the first 6 weeks just passed in a blur of feeding as far as I can remember...

Twit Tue 26-Jul-11 17:09:30

hi button congrats on babybutton! babytwit is 4 weeks and weighs 9lb11, I'll have to catch up with the july thread and find out what is what.
Do you feel a bit swollen and bruised again after the suck has got stronger and a probable growth spurt? I am and am paranoid about mastitis symptoms. He drank rather than fed alot in the day IYSWIM and had me on here researching greenish poo and am back looking for growth spurt answers.

<<sneakss in a question for the experts>>
<<whistles innocently>>

KeepOnSwimming Tue 26-Jul-11 18:26:59

To Twit - I was going to ask that! All of a sudden my areolae hurt where she is sucking stronger - can't feel any lumps but have had to change to rugby hold for a while.... I think she's having a growth spurt NOW at 4 weeks +1...

I seem to remember her feeding constantly at 10 -13 days as well... - so not exactly at 2 weeks, but she was 4 days overdue so the 10 days would have been 14 if she'd been born on her due date...

buttonmoon78 Wed 27-Jul-11 08:29:21

Of course - I'd forgotten to add that to the equation. He was born at 38+1 which may or may not have anything to do with it!

Oddly enough he was a bit more settled in the evening yesterday. Still fed at 11pm in bed and then woke me at 3.30 so I feel like nights are not a chore at the moment.

<waves at Twit> I still feel a bit bruised full stop as we're only 11 days in!

MW didn't come yesterday as she had a migraine so is coming lunchtime today. I'm still hoping for a stonking gain judging by his growth so I can have something to throw back at the nay-sayers grin

Twit Wed 27-Jul-11 11:06:13

oh brilliant button just to say I do have mastitis and feel like shite TBH but it sounds obvious to get a bit more tender with more feeding/ stronger suck thinking on it.

buttonmoon78 Wed 27-Jul-11 11:24:28

Oh, poor you! I've managed to avoid that so far. My mum got an abcess when she fed me so is constantly on the lookout for mastitis symptoms in me!

Rest up (ha ha) when you can smile

Twit Wed 27-Jul-11 12:28:24

ha ha yourself, my SIL had one that would ooze pus etc when feeding shock. Am pretty sure she was told to keep feeding though which sounds a bit yuk.
You'll know if you get it - you'll feel like shite and really quickly too. AM awaiting my anti- biotics as we speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now