Talk

Advanced search

Tips for successfully bf DC2 when you've got already got a v active toddler?

(8 Posts)
ifonlycelerytastedlikechoc Tue 26-Jul-11 10:46:09

I'm currently pregnant with DC2 and just wondered if anyone had any tips on successful bf as I'm thinking the things I did with DC1 - sitting on the sofa for hours watching boxsets while he fed for an hour at a time every 2-3 hours; lying down to feed; having lots of rest is just not going to be feasible when you've got a 2 year old running around also wanting your attention! So does anyone have any tips on coping with 2 while bf 1?

talkingnonsense Tue 26-Jul-11 10:59:18

My ds2 had to get used to a pretty strict routine! 30 min feed before ds1 woke up, 30 min mid morning with teletubbies and a snack for ds1, big feed after lunch while ds1 slept, and so on. Worked well though and fed till he was one, with a bottle of formula at 10pm from 2 months so dh could do a feed and to encourage sleeping through!

MovingAndScared Tue 26-Jul-11 10:59:32

I found with my DS2 he didn't feed for as long - hardly ever over 20 minutes. He also got used to being fed when it was convient for me - eg just before we went out - and that feeds got interupted. We had a much better start with BF than I did with my DS1 - had EMCS with DS1 and he was v sleepy for ages. I had 3 nights in hospital with DS2 by which time my milk had come in -much earlier than with DS1.
then my DH had 2 weeks parternity leave and them my mum came for a few days - by that time BF was quite well established and I was pretty much recoved from the birth. My DS1 was older though. I kept up some childcare for my DS1 which meant I had some time with the baby

littleducks Tue 26-Jul-11 11:06:03

I think you will find it easier to do other things than you think, I definately had bfing sessions walking around holding the baby sorting out the toddler at times, and there were often mums at playgroup doning the same thing!

Some new 'sit down' toys can help in the early days, things like sticker books, those sewing through pre punched holes cards, puzzles and reading works (as does cbeebies!)

Loopymumsy Tue 26-Jul-11 11:26:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ifonlycelerytastedlikechoc Tue 26-Jul-11 11:28:42

Thanks for the advice, guess my main concern is if this one's another long and often feeder like DC1, but from what you've said it sounds like that old saying "you never get 2 the same" might be true after all, fingers crossed anyway!

jeee Tue 26-Jul-11 11:31:07

Cbeebies is useful

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 26-Jul-11 13:53:15

watching with interest. Ds will be 19m when dc2 arrives at end of sept.

He is crazy very active and impossible to toddlerproof for as he climbs everything. We would have to get rid of all the furniture.

Also he can't really be reasoned with cause of his age.

He is still bf so i'm hoping this night help...at least if they are occasionally both feeding at once i'll know they are safe.

Also i will have to master bf in a sling. It is not optional.

When are you due celery? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now