Talk

Advanced search

Tips for getting ds to open mouth wider

(10 Posts)
jasmine51 Mon 25-Jul-11 11:32:24

Has anyone got any good tips for getting my 4 weeks old to take a bigger mouthful of boob? He is such a greedy feeder that my nipples are now very long and he will only grab the nipples and not the aerola...it bloomin hurts and cant be productive for him. I have tried waiting until he is genuinely hungry and not just fancying a snack - it helps initially but as he gets to the slower sucking he relaxes and goes back to chewing the ends. Any tips?

crikeybadger Mon 25-Jul-11 11:56:09

OK, so you could try the 'flipple' or exaggerated latch. See page 9 of this doc.

You can also open your mouth wide and say "open". Sounds a bit odd, but other mnetters have had success with this.

I'd also suggest that you switch him to the other boob when he starts losing interest in the first side.

If it's not comfy to start with, then take him off and try again- otherwise it will get really sore.

HTH

pyjamalover Mon 25-Jul-11 12:48:14

I found that if I got him to open his mouth by touching his lip with nipple, then pulled away, then repeated he would open wider on 2nd/3rd/4th time than when he first rooted if that makes sense.

also don't tolerate bad latch, if he won't suck properly take him off and try again, eventually he'll realise what he has to do to get fed!

maybe when he pulls back and starts sucking on the nipple he's had enough - mine did the same when he was a bit older (around 10 weeks i think). try finishing the feed and see what happens!

TruthSweet Mon 25-Jul-11 13:31:39

I found opening my mouth like crikey says worked as did sticking my tongue out (DD1 latch with her tongue back). However I found offering at the first sign of hunger worked better than waiting for her to get really hungry as then she couldn't be bothered with latching well she just wanted to feed any which way.

Have you considered switching sides when the slipping down the nipple happens?

jasmine51 Mon 25-Jul-11 14:08:42

Fab advice, thanks, will try the 'flipple' and also the open mouth idea. I have visions of using the open mouth technique when out in public and getting some funny looks!
re the switching sides - although this would seem logical, its something I am deliberately not doing atm on the advice of a bf clinic. Its because DS is very windy and they suggested it was because I have been allowing him his feed of foremilk and taking him off the boob before he gets his full quota of hind milk. Some sources believe that overfeeding on foremilk can lead to fermentation in the gut, hence wind. Whether you subscribe to that or not, it does help my DS if he gets a full feed on one side rather than switching.
Right - he's crying now so off to try what you have suggested. thanks again

RollingInTheAisles Mon 25-Jul-11 14:21:07

I agree with Pyjama. Try stroking your nipple down over his top lip while gently holding the back of his head and around his temple with your hand then wait until he opens wide (can take a few goes) and sort of shove your boob in while moving his head forward. Once on try flipping his lower lip down with your finger if it's folded in (if that makes sense) so you get that fishy look to his mouth.

Also try some other positions to see if that will help.

RollingInTheAisles Mon 25-Jul-11 14:24:33

Just read your post in more detail. I tried the same side without switching thing and it worked out fine. I also used to find the cross cradle hold good as it put them in a slightly upright position.

RollingInTheAisles Mon 25-Jul-11 14:25:25

Trying link again

jasmine51 Tue 26-Jul-11 13:03:54

Thanks for that Rolling we use that hold all the time and have done since the beginning - it works really well but is hard work now DS is getting heavier and stronger (I actually have tendonitis in my wrists from holding him like this). At the moment he is simply lying on a pillow sideways on my lap but I'm going to get more creative now I think as he is demolishing most areas of my nipple from using the same few holds

RollingInTheAisles Tue 26-Jul-11 14:53:00

I found it easier as DD got bigger to use a big blanket that I just smooshed over my lap and down over my side to sort of make a supportive nest around her - might be worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now