Talk

Advanced search

Three weeks old-let her sleep or wake her?

(8 Posts)
Hormoneoverload Mon 25-Jul-11 09:32:03

Dd2 is three weeks and has started doing a four or five hour stretch at some point in the night. This is new territory for me-have ds and dd already and neither of them did more than three hours for months. Dd2 has regained birthweight (big baby, took a little while) and a bit and has long session of cluster feeding until about ten ish at night and (only last few nights so could change again soon!) then wakes again half two three ish. want to know if I need to wake her before then. Obviously hoping not but will do what's best! She's never more than two to three hours between feeds in the day and will often cluster feed in the morning too (as she is right now!)

daytoday Mon 25-Jul-11 09:36:37

Hi there,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

If there are no underlying issues - like jaundice, and baby is feeding well (which she sounds like she is) going no more than 3 hours during the day, then I would absolutely leave her during these long night sessions. If you want to reassure yourself, pop along to your nearest baby clinic and weight her regularly just to check weight gain.

I had the same dilemma with number 3 and both the midwife and health visitor said it was fine to leave dd3 during the night.

She sounds a dream!

Hormoneoverload Mon 25-Jul-11 09:46:12

Thanks! Luckily with number three I am (just about) wise enough to know it's good and more importantly not to assume it will last! It does make it better for everyone-I am really nasty grumpy on sleep dep.

TruthSweet Mon 25-Jul-11 10:46:32

I'd say no to waking her so long as she is having 6+ wet disposable nappies (8 cloth ones if you use cloth), doing 2+ poos (chicken korma/mustard-y/seedy type) a day and is feeding ~8 times a day.

If she is having less wet nappies/infrequent poos or ones that are dark green (not bright green but forest green/meconium looking tye ones) and not feeding very much then I would wake her (and feed more often too!).

Hormoneoverload Mon 25-Jul-11 10:55:51

She does have an occasional green nappy but the last one was just before she started longer stretches at night so wonder whether supply was changing at that point. I think I'll do more frequent hf visits than with number two. Good number of nappies and really confident she's satisfied by the end of a feed or cluster of feeds. But the weight might be the thing-my mum says I was super contented, ticking all the boxes but losing weight. And dd2 was big at birth.

TruthSweet Mon 25-Jul-11 11:03:41

Don't worry if the occasional nappy is bright/pea/khaki green, it's if the poo starts going back to a meconium like state (thick & dark green) that might indicate not enough milk being consumed. Bright green tye nappies can indicate a cold/other mild infection or be 'just because' so don't worry about those ones.

Sounds like she is doing well and if she is only doing one 4/5 hour stretch a day I would't thin you need to wake her (unless you are full to bursting and neeeed her to feed!).

Congratulations and enjoy having 3, I have 3 girls and it's a blast (when I'm not rocking in a corner that iswink).

Hormoneoverload Mon 25-Jul-11 12:58:23

It is fab, and I'm relieved that for us at least two to three easier tan one to two. Remember with shudder how hard that was and I'm sure I spent most of my time rocking in the corner-metaphorically if not literally! Could all change but glad to feel fairly calm and sane just now! Good advice thanks-feel less informed for number three than either of the others!

TruthSweet Mon 25-Jul-11 13:16:27

Oh yes, the transition from 2 to 3 children was far less traumatic than 0 to 1 or 1 to 2. Though to be fair DD3 was my easiest to feed though she has spent the most time in hospital by a long stretch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now