Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feed to sleep? dont sweat it!!!!

(4 Posts)
jjazz Sun 24-Jul-11 22:08:14

I have fed my boy to sleep since birth (EBF). He is now 18 months (!) he now eats food like a monster and really has only had BFs for a 'cuddle opportunity' and a damn good way of winding down from 10 000 ft at bedtime (and also to keep him quiet in the mornings when everyone else is asleep).
He used to fall asleep bf'ing like clockwork but more recently if not so tired he would stay awake and after 20 mins give up and even sit up. On these occasions I have always acted as if he was asleep and said 'time for bed', and put him down, tucked him up and said 'night night'. He self settled on these occasions without difficulty. This week I have finally decided enough is enough and cut out the evening feed altogether. We do the routine without the BF and.... no problems at all! bath, sip of water, story(ies) a cuddle and bed.What a star.
Just thought those of you who may have been feeling worried about feeding l.o's to sleep may want to just enjoy it for now.XX

AngelDog Sun 24-Jul-11 22:23:18

Thanks for posting!

I still happily bf my 18 m.o. to sleep, but when he was tiny, I did use to worry about it a lot, and I'm sure there are others here who will feel reassured.

LeggyBlondeNE Mon 25-Jul-11 10:51:24

I've noticed my 11mo isn't always falling asleep on the boob anymore too. Of course for us that means 5-10 minutes of rocking and shushing and patting before it's safe to put her down! But she does seem to be getting there. Ditto night feeds, slowly dropping as she gets older.

Not everyone's this lucky but it's nice to have the good side flagged up as so often it's people who have a problem asking for help.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 25-Jul-11 12:46:09

great post.

I too happily bf my 17m old to sleep and will continue to do so till he out grows it.

It's great for people to be reminded that all lo's will out grow bf one day. From some of the doom merchants out there you'd think everyone bf to sleep till adulthood before someone invented cc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now