Talk

Advanced search

48 hour break from breastfeeding - advice needed please

(3 Posts)
JudysDreamHorse Sat 23-Jul-11 20:22:03

I'm going away next weekend and leaving my 10mo DS with DH. I'm breastfeeding him and plan to continue until 12 months. The plan is that DH will give him formula while I'm away but I was wondering if I would need to express at the times of the missed feeds to maintain my supply. I'm currently feeding him first thing, mid morning, mid afternoon, bedtime and one middle of the night feed (though might miss the last one!). We did a trial run at bedtime tonight and DS drank about 50ml from a tommee tippee cup. I tried expressing afterwards but I only got 20ml - I haven't expressed for about 4 months and only did it occasionally before.
Also, we gave DS some first milk but a friend who occasionally formula feeds told me her DS drank more formula when she moved onto follow-on milk. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth trying?
Thanks for your help.

RitaMorgan Sat 23-Jul-11 20:28:06

Follow-on might be sweeter or more flavoured possibly?

I can't express at all, and have left 11 month old ds a couple of times for 36-48 hours without expressing. It was fine but I was pretty uncomfortable by the second day.

JudysDreamHorse Sun 24-Jul-11 15:31:55

Thanks for the reply. Good to know everything was ok for you even without expressing as I'm a bit nervous. I think my DH is more worried than I am...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now