Talk

Advanced search

Baby starting nursery- has anyone managed to introduce a bottle at 6mths old?

(4 Posts)
TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 22-Jul-11 22:48:42

I will be starting my DD at nursery soon as I have to return to work and so far she is EBF. We have started to introduce her to solids, so far so good, but I'm not sure how to introduce her to a bottle. I am unable to express so I want to know how will I get her to accept formula from a bottle? This will only be during nursery time as I will continue to breastfeed her when she is at home with me.

I'd welcome any tips and reassurance as this is a huge step for me and I am loathing having to give her formula. I never had this dilemma with my son. I cannot express very much milk from my manual breast pump and I cannot afford the cost of an electric one. I also don't own a freezer so this is why I won't be expressing, but that still doesn't solve the bottle problem.

She takes a dummy so she is used to having a foreign plastic object in her mouth and she eats very well. She has also taken an ounce of formula from DP and from me. How do I go about this?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 22-Jul-11 22:49:06

Forgot to add she is nearly 6mths old.

RitaMorgan Fri 22-Jul-11 23:01:05

Go for a cup - if you wean her onto a bottle now you'll just have to wean her off it again in a few months.

I'd just keep offering, every day, until she starts drinking from it. Took about a month to get my ds to take a couple of oz.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 24-Jul-11 19:46:26

The thing is Rita, with a cup she can't cuddle up and go to sleep in someones arms as that's what she likes to do. She will drink water from a sippy cup but it's the whole comfort then go to sleep thing which is why I want her to take form a bottle. I'm not overly concerned about having to wean her off a bottle as she is taking from a cup and the breast. Coming off the bottle will happen when she is ready. It's how to get her on it I'd like to now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now