Talk

Advanced search

Help! Does this sound like thrush to you?

(5 Posts)
Queenofthehill Fri 22-Jul-11 22:48:13

DS is 8 weeks, EBF. Over course of this week, BFing has been getting increasingly uncomfortable. I'm thinking thrush. What do you think?

Me: Weird, sore, red, spongy, itchy, pins-and-needlesy nipples. Shooting pains deep in breasts between feeds, esp right one. Ow.

DS: Farting (lots of), general irritability and grizzling, latching on and off breast, weird patches of nappy rash on one leg where nappy edge is (red, raised and skin peeled off - sad )

But: no white patches in DS's mouth that I can see.

Going to go to walk-in centre tomorrow, but wanted to gauge your opinions first. Do you think this is thrush? What would they prescribe if so? Are GPs generally clued up on this? Anyone experienced this? Any advice???

TIA.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 22-Jul-11 22:58:23

From my experience, and by god I've suffered with nipple thrush! It makes feeding extremely painful. Nipples are red and shiney and the shower hurts, a towel brushing against them feels like sandpaper. On DS- no white patched but the area immediately around his anus was red.

It took me a while to realise it was thrush as I blmaed it on a poor latch but I went to see a breast feeding counsellor and she was brill. I got treated and feeding was a dream. The only problem was it came back a few times which was a nuisance.

Do you use dummies? If so make sure you sterilise them twice a day and if you can I would go and see a brest-feeding cousellor. They know their stuff. GP's are pretty clueless. You should get some anti-fungal tablets and cream for your nipples and some oral solution for your baby. It is a faff but makes feeding so much more comfortable after a couple of days. Good luck.

Queenofthehill Fri 22-Jul-11 23:06:56

Thanks so much, TBOM. I am convinced this is what it is...

Towels feel like sandpaper on my nipples. Feeding is uncomfortable, but not excruciating.

DS has red area around his anus, too. Poor little man. Even as I type, I can feel these pains going through right boob. I've wondered about poor latch and have also notice clicking sound when he feeds. Could that be related?

twinklegreen Fri 22-Jul-11 23:07:30

Sound like it might be thrush, baby's don't always have the white patches in their mouths.

It is a good idea to get it checked out by a doctor.

If it IS thrush you need to make sure that both you and your baby are treated (insist upon this)

You need Fluconazole (loading dose plus 10 days perscription)

Your baby needs Moconazole oral gel.

You can find all the info you need here please print this out and show it to the doctor you see, it is designed for you to do this.

Hope everything goes well smile

Queenofthehill Fri 22-Jul-11 23:14:37

Thanks, Twinklegreen. That leaflet is excellent. I will print out and take with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now