Talk

Advanced search

8mth won't take a bottle -advice please?

(8 Posts)
Etalb Fri 22-Jul-11 20:58:36

Hi my baby is just 8mths breastfed and allergic to cows milk,soya,strawberries and bananas. I have been trying to introduce a bottle of the hypoallergenic formula for about a month - he was taking 4ozs at bedtime for a few days and now refuses again. He has also given up his dummy since I have been trying with the bottle so he is feeding to sleep and waking up twice or more a night to be fed. Everyone I have asked said I have to be firm and refuse breast until he takes bottle but I can't do it - just hate to see him sad. He will not take expressed milk either. I'm using nuk bottles. What I'd like to know is will he self wean around one? Or will it become harder to wean him off boob? I weaned my other two at six months and they were fine as they had had bottles before but as he was allergic he went a while without a bottle. It's also very hard staying dairy free and soya free - just a small amount sets his eczema off - I'm dying for a latte! I just feel that if he would take a bottle my husband could help out as at the mo it seems it's me and baby and him and the girls.
After speaking with the dietitian I realize he does not need so much milk - he is feeding four times in day and three in night - he has never slept through the night. I just don't know what to do - hate to see him upset and feel like I'm forcing him to do something that is not natural to him - have I missed the window of op and what about a cup? Which kind should i get as already spent a small fortune on bottles?
Any advice appreciated
Thanks

japhrimel Fri 22-Jul-11 21:03:12

I'd get 'the no-cry sleep solution' if you haven't already.

Doidy cups seem popular. Or go for a free-flow sippy cup.

Definitely try EBM in a cup before trying to introduce formula as they're 2 seperate issues in a way. I've heard loads of times that the hypoallergenic formula is foul.

Etalb Fri 22-Jul-11 21:06:52

Yes the formula stinks to high heaven but I think it's the vessel rather than the liquid - what is a doidy cup - is doidy the brand name? Thanks

YorkshireTeaDrinker Fri 22-Jul-11 22:11:58

No advice, just wanted to lurk as I am in the same position. My 8mo has a diary allergy and I am trying to get her to take EBM in a bottle - the few occasions she has been offered a bottle in the past, she refused and she did the same tonight. DH ended up bringing her to me and I breast fed as normal. I feel like we've fallen at teh first hurdle. sad

beanlet Fri 22-Jul-11 22:14:56

Try lots of different types of bottle - borrow from friends if you need to. DS won't drink EBM or formula from anything except a Medela bottle or - bizarrely - an adult glass.

Etalb Sat 23-Jul-11 22:33:04

Have started to read the 'no cry sleep solution' many thanks for your responses.
E

RitaMorgan Sat 23-Jul-11 22:50:41

I'd try either a doidy cup/open cup or a free flow sippy cup - lots of BF babies don't like sucking on a bottle or valved cup for some reason. I recently persuaded my 10 month old to drink from a cup by letting him drink out of my glass/mug or with a straw!

I think you have a few different issues going on here. Firstly, feeding to sleep and night feeds - that's something that can be tackled without bottles/cups. The NCSS book is good, though I stopped feeding to sleep pretty much cold turkey and DP settled him to sleep (with much persistence and rocking) instead. Also stopped night feeds around 8 months by gradually pushing feeds later and later and having DP settling ds in the night without milk.

Secondly, persuading your ds to accept a bottle - I would go straight for cups, as you'll only have to wean him off the bottle eventually. This is really just a case of trying a variety of cups and persisting - maybe try with EBM first?

Thirdly - the unpleasant taste of the formula! I have read on here of people having to add nesquik or sugar to it to get their babies to drink it.

In answer to your question about self weaning, as I understand it it is fairly uncommon for a baby under 2ish to self wean from the breast unless they are taking milk from bottles or cups too.

Etalb Sun 24-Jul-11 21:08:54

As suggested I'm going to try to tackle the feeding to sleep first while offering a cup in the day - I just don't have the energy to keep trying with bottles and look after my other two dcs.

I have tried nesquick added to the yuck formula without luck - dont think there is much hope with the bottle issue - anyone else had luck at8 mtgs ?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now