Talk

Advanced search

How long does your baby take to Breastfeed?

(6 Posts)
cockle84 Fri 22-Jul-11 15:47:02

My little one used to take an hour sometimes more to feed and occassional still does if she's sleepy in the middle of the day but more often she just snacks for about 5 minutes. She'll be 4 month next week. Is this normal? Today for instance I fed her at 5am (about 10mins), 7.30am (about 10 mins), 11.30am (less than 5 mins) and she's been asleep since 12. She'll feed when she wakes and then again and then after 7 (usually 7.30pm) she has 6/7oz of formula, goes down around 8.30 then sleeps through. In the last month she has put on 11oz. Health visitor says she's thriving so I assume this is ok.
What do you think?

cockle84 Fri 22-Jul-11 15:48:20

I know I am very lucky BTW re sleeping through...hoping she keeps it up.

Tarlia Fri 22-Jul-11 16:09:59

Used to be an hour at least and cluster in evening for hours on end. Now at 5 mnths, averages on 30 mins, but often likes a quick 5-10 min snack.

organiccarrotcake Fri 22-Jul-11 16:16:30

Sounds fine. They geet much more effective at feeding as they get bigger, and get the same amount of milk but much quicker.

Was the cluster feeding why you introduced the formula?

cockle84 Fri 22-Jul-11 16:51:01

Yes, she would cluster feed between 5 and midnight sometimes longer! Also I often play netball in the evenings so it was more comfortable for me not to have huge milky boobs ;0)

Gemjar Fri 22-Jul-11 16:58:41

That sounds fine to me. DS is now 8 months and only takes about 5-10 mins to feed, once they get the hang of it they get really efficient at getting the milk that they need. I remember thinking at first that he couldn't be getting enough in the short amount of time he was feeding for, but unless he falls asleep at the boob he just gets down to business and then he is off again to play some more smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now