Talk

Advanced search

Bottle as well as breast- any tips?

(8 Posts)
GeorgieR Fri 22-Jul-11 11:46:43

DD is 12 weeks and she's been breast feeding like a dream. I'm producing milk by the bucketload and would like to express and get her feeding from a bottle too (I may, one day, want to do something outside the home. Just a crazy dream of mine.) But she's proving v unwilling to even entertain the idea of anything other than her mother's nipple. Any tips?

mummywilko Fri 22-Jul-11 13:18:16

I fed both of mine myself til they were 10 months. I had to go back to work part time with my youngest at 4 months and therefore had to introduce a bottle. I found the best way if possible to let someone else give them a bottle so she won't smell you and that seemed to work fine for me, just until she is used to it.
I also had loads of milk and started expressing but keeping it sterile etc became a nightmare so I started using formula as well.
The other thing I remember (8 years ago now!) is the only teat he would take was the Tommee Tippee one with the nipple spots!! Sorry I can't remember the name!
Good Luck xx

moomin156 Fri 22-Jul-11 14:39:05

perserverance........and trying different teets. We have just succeeded with DD, avent size 2 in the end. If she refuses dont automatcally give her the breast. walk around and play for 5 min, let someone else try, different positions. My dd prefers to be more upright and faces me for the bottle. Good luck

TribbleWithoutACause Fri 22-Jul-11 18:10:51

Try it at different temperatures, warm cold etc. Can she hold things yet? I've heard of people having sucess with letting their children play with the bottle. But perseverance is the key sometimes, we've gone back and fourth with different bottles but he eventually took the tommee tippee ones after faffing around with the breastflow bottles.

titferbrains Fri 22-Jul-11 18:12:04

have read on here that milk needs to be really warm, warmer than you'd expect.

crazybutterflylady Fri 22-Jul-11 21:38:47

I'm watching this thread with interest since I have an 8 week old who I would really like to take the occasional bottle. She did at 6 weeks with an avent bottle then we had a bit of a traumatic night where she refused the breast. I got her back on track but now and really nervous about trying a bottle again.

I have tried her with tommee tippee since then as I'd read it was more like the boob, but she wasn't interested and became quite upset so I gave up. She is definitely more amenable to warmed milk.

DH has a week off soon so I am planning on trying then, when he is around to try a bottle a day with her, since when I have tried she just clamours for the boob. Hopefully this will work, fingers crossed! I would really like to go to the cinema or have a girly day out soon - selfish mother grin

Maybe try a few different bottles/teats. I have heard good reports on the breastflow bottle although I note Tribble didn't get on with them. My NCT counsellor said if all else fails they can often take a sippy cup from 4 months so that's my fallback plan. Only a few weeks and your LO can try that? I would start expressing now and again anyway just in case you can get it to work.

Good luck, hopefully you'll get some good tips/feedback from others.

peedieworky Fri 22-Jul-11 21:55:55

Strange question but have you sniffed your milk crazybutterflylady? My DS started refusing a bottle at around 8 weeks and when I sniffed it I found out why! Think I have excess lipase..sad

crazybutterflylady Sun 24-Jul-11 13:25:15

Errrm no. What should it smell like?! I'll have a sniff at the next feed smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now