Talk

Advanced search

My 18 month old has been every few hours since 2.00am, should breastfeed her at lunch time?

(14 Posts)
lolalotta Fri 22-Jul-11 11:44:46

I'm waiting for the doctor to phone me, in the mean time I'm not sure what to do about giving her her lunch and her breastfeed when I settle her off for her lunchtime nap? She was sick after milk this morning and after she had a digestive biscuit...she has been drinking sips of water. Can anyone advice? Thank you!

lolalotta Fri 22-Jul-11 11:45:27

That should say "sick" in the title!

bumpybecky Fri 22-Jul-11 11:46:48

assuming you mean she's been sick every few hours - yes keep feeding breastmilk

breastmilk counts as clear fluids and it's fine to keep feeding. Your milk will have antibodies that should help fight the bug

offering sips of water is good too, not too much or you risk her being sick sad

hope she's feeling better soon

TurtlesAreRetroRight Fri 22-Jul-11 11:51:44

Yes to bmilk. It's easily absorbed, she'll keep some down even if it comes back up, it's comforting and it will help her recover.

Little and often where fluids are concerned if you can, otherwise large amounts come straight back up.

Avoid dairy if and when you give solids and watch out for hydration (wet nappies, mouth wet, normal behaviour etc) but otherwise bmilk is the absolute best thing for them.

AngelDog Fri 22-Jul-11 11:54:26

What the others said. Apparently some goes down even if most seems to come back up again.

VeronicaCake Fri 22-Jul-11 12:13:59

Yup keep breastfeeding. Hope she feels better soon.

RitaMorgan Fri 22-Jul-11 12:14:11

Definitely keep breastfeeding, she needs to stay hydrated. I'd only give her food if she asks for it, and stick to rice, bananas and plain toast.

lolalotta Fri 22-Jul-11 12:28:58

Thanks so much for the replies, the Doctor said "no" to the breastmilk but I think I trust you ladies more, so I put her down without any lunch and a little breastfeed to settle her off, she's so knackered from beeing up all night she was out like a light, poor little thing!
Anyway Thank you!

bumpybecky Fri 22-Jul-11 12:46:04

forgot to say quite apart from the nutrition and antibodies, bfing will give her big comfort too

it's not the first time I've heard of a GP saying not to feed. I don't think most GPs get very much training on breastfeeing sad

organiccarrotcake Fri 22-Jul-11 12:58:17

Poor you and poor bub sad

Do you know why the doc said no BFing?

organiccarrotcake Fri 22-Jul-11 12:58:37

(S/he's wrong BTW, it's the very best thing for a sicky bub)

TurtlesAreRetroRight Fri 22-Jul-11 14:08:16

My gp said no to bfing as dairy isn't good for children with stomach bugs.

Sadly the NOTW weren't interested in my 'cow produces human offspring' story. Might have still been up and running if they'd published it.

4madboys Fri 22-Jul-11 14:12:03

IGNORE the gp your bmilk will be the best thing for her stomach, hope little one feels better soon.

and if it was my gp i would be forwarding them some relevant facts/info showing that bfeeding is best for poorly toddlers!

TurtlesAreRetroRight Fri 22-Jul-11 14:20:53

Kellymom link to info about why bfing through vomiting is a GOOD idea. In case your gp is interested in learning something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now