Talk

Advanced search

Combination feeding and poos, formula advice needed!

(4 Posts)
SarahJinx Fri 22-Jul-11 10:16:30

Hey All, would appreciate some thoughts.

I am breastfeeding my ten week old but his last feed of the day is formula - we started this early on as my milk took ten days to come in and we just kept it up. Up until last week I was using ready made in cartons but last week switched to the same brand of powdered formula and my worry is this: LO has always pooed like a breastfed baby, bright yellow liquidy explosions at almost every feed, four to five times per day. Since the change it's once per day, a huge yellowy brown sludgey nappy. He is trumping like mad, doesn't appear to be in any pain but does keep making little rigid body movements and arching his back - is also a bit more windy than usual.

Anyway my dilemma is this, change him straight back to ready made as it appeared to suit him, or keep trying with the powder to see if it settles down. I desparately don't want to mess him about by chopping and changing but it seems that this one feed is having a huge effect on his little system so need to get it right. I can't decide as I don't really know what he should be doing, he is my first and all has been great up to now.

I love breastfeeding him and the system we had was working brillinatly, he is thriving, sleeping etc and I bloody wish I hadn't messed with it, but I did, so what now? Please help!

RitaMorgan Fri 22-Jul-11 10:40:45

Just go back to the ready made cartons. It might not even work out that more expensive for just one feed a day as you have to throw the powder away after 4 weeks anyway.

SarahJinx Fri 22-Jul-11 10:47:03

Thank you Rita, I don't care a bit about the expense I just want to get it right for him.

RitaMorgan Fri 22-Jul-11 11:12:34

If expense isn't an issue then definitely stick with the cartons, they're safer too as the milk is sterile unlike the powder. I have always used cartons when my ds has had a formula feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now