Talk

Advanced search

Green poo in breastfed baby

(12 Posts)
LAbaby Fri 22-Jul-11 00:40:34

I'm exclusively breast feeding my three week old. He's growing really well (he weighs over 8lbs having left hospital at 6lbs 2) and seems to be thriving. But four days ago he started doing green poos - they had been yellow. He's also started having a gassy tummy, which makes him uncomfortable and he squirms in his sleep until he can pass wind. We have just come out of a four day growth spurt which really stimulated my milk, and I have been told the problem could be oversupply.
Anyone have an experience of this? And any idea what to do about it? Will it just settle down or should I start block feeding? Also could it be something I'm eating? I gave up all caffeine and alcohol while pregnant and have had a couple of glasses of coffee and one of wine this week - could that be it?
Thanks!

Jacinda Fri 22-Jul-11 01:22:12

My breastfed son pooed in all colours of the rainbow. According to my GP if he's gaining weight and is happy there's no need to worry.

sweetandtenderhooligan Fri 22-Jul-11 01:53:14

My HV told me that green poo sometimes means baby isn't getting enough hind milk, and

sweetandtenderhooligan Fri 22-Jul-11 01:57:11

Oops, hit post by mistake!

Right, green poo means more foremilk than hindmilk and my HV advised that I stay on the stay on the same boob as long as possible, even feeding from the same boob at the next feed to make sure DS was getting all the creamy fatty hindmilk. I did this and it seemed to make a difference.

With regard to the gassy tummy, my DS did the squirming too. He grew out of it but I did notice when I ate something oniony he was particularly windy wink

monoid Fri 22-Jul-11 02:18:12

I was going to say that it is possible that it may be an infection but thought I'd google it to make sure I had remembered that correctly. I did remember correctly, but having read the descriptions, it sounds like sweetandtenderhooligan is probably correct. So anyway, my reason for posting is that it lead me to a slide show of baby poo photos that I thought was too disgusting good not to share with the world :-)
Baby poo

sarahmade Fri 22-Jul-11 05:34:43

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago with my now 5 week old. He was doing a green poo approx every two hours, sometimes more. I thought my breastfeeding was going fine but he did seem to be taking a long time to feed. I went to a breastfeeding cafe and saw an excellent midwife who tweaked my latch slightly so now we are feeding much more efficiently and saw an immediate change in poos...one or two yellow ones a day.

So worth looking at your latch. She also said to stay on the same side for an hour if he is having a feeding frenzy

sarahmade Fri 22-Jul-11 05:40:32

Oohps posted before finishing...was going to say that since tweaking the latch he has gone from feeding for an hour or more to about 1/2 hour. I have also spent more time winding him ( he is very windy) and this has helped too. Good luck!

Chipotle Fri 22-Jul-11 06:27:05

My DS went through a phase of having horrendous poo... Green and frothy, sometimes with little bits of jelly like blood (TMI?). My GP was unconcerned, he told me he was a father of five and had seen this in all his children. He said something about gut immaturity? Anyway it did indeed turn out to be a phase and his poo eventually became more normal.

camdancer Fri 22-Jul-11 08:18:43

My DD2 had green frothy poo. We were in a&e for something completely unrelated but when the consultant saw the poo she said if that was her normal poo I should stop eating tomatoes. Changing my diet has stopped the green poos, although I'm now doing a total exclusion diet for her reflux so I can't be 100% sure it was the tomatoes.

vespalover Fri 22-Jul-11 08:38:54

I had the same problem and was advised by Lactation Consultant [ seeing for poor weight gain] that it was the fore milk/hind milk thing - i.e. not enough hind milk. I started to feed both sides twice to ensure more hind milk.

LAbaby Fri 22-Jul-11 18:58:41

Thanks for the replies, good to know green is not weird!
I think it must be the hndmilk/foremilk thing. I just gave him his morning feed (we are in California so its morning here) then after he had eaten for 30 minutes I expressed to see if the milk was creamy or not. I filled a 5-oz bottle in ten minutes so no problems with supply! The milk was greyish and watery but got more creamy right at the end. I put him back on the breast and now he seems really content. I am going to try feeding from one breast for three hours/two feeds before I swap over and see if that helps.
We also have an appointment to see a lactation consultatant today to check his latch, and see if that will help. I debated packing one of his green poo-filled nappies to show her.... then decided that was beyond the call of duty. Will see if she can help.

boognish Sun 24-Jul-11 01:16:56

You've got your answer, but I agree that bright green poo (sometimes with a jellyish appearance) is likely to be oversupply, and that fits with your baby getting windy during feeds. My ds got it when he started having his first growth spurt, so I was switch feeding and he wasn't getting enough hindmilk.

Expressing milk into a pump is a real eye-opener, as you can actually watch the consistency of your milk change. I would find that it would take as long as 35-40 minutes to get to the really creamy stuff (as opposed to the 20-25 minutes I was told in antenatal classes).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now