Talk

Advanced search

How quick does mums milk dry up when a bambino stops feeding?

(4 Posts)
Nelinoonar Thu 21-Jul-11 22:47:25

Im gutted my poor Nel has got hand foot and mouth from nursery and has been unable to breast feed from me clearly due to the pain for 3 days now. Doc says is self limiting and will sort its self out in 7 - 10 days Is it likely that my milk will stop in this time if she doesnt feed? I have been breast feeding for 16 months but neither of us were ready to stop, but when I have tried to express to keep the milk going in her absence I can only get a taudry couple of mls. Im sure she is much more efficient than me but can anybody help in sheding any light on how long my milk might last or is it an ideosyncratic thing !!
Thanks for your responses!

Cuckoo05 Thu 21-Jul-11 23:40:13

I don't know what the average is but mine stopped after 4 days last time.

Valpollicella Thu 21-Jul-11 23:45:55

Expressing doesn't always equate to how much might be taken at each feed, but is probably worth perservering with. I might be worth hand expressing a little throughout the day to see if you can keep your supply up that way?

hellymelly Fri 22-Jul-11 00:18:03

As you have been feeding for so long your supply will be well established and it will take more than just a few days to damage it. Keep pumping what you can and keep offering the breast and when she starts to feed again your supply should pick up again very quickly. My DD went on a nursing strike for a few days when she was teething,my supply was back to normal in a couple of days,but I had keep pummping as much as possible (she was only 7m at the time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now