Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Still no period at 12 months is this normal?!

(8 Posts)
MazzaP1 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:45:20

Hi all

So here's the thing - my DS turned 1 two weeks ago, and I still haven't had my period yet. nothing, not a peep.

I breast fed him exclusively for the first 5 months, then weaned him onto solids early as he was so hungey - and I couldn't make enough milk - even when he wanted milk every hour and a half (he;s always been a big boy!) and I have continued to BF 3/4 times a day alongside 3 main meals a day + snacks.

I introduced a formual feed in the day when I returned to work 4 months ago. then another bottle at night, but still BF first thing in the morning, and when I picked him up afetr work, then again if he woke in the night. gradually, he;s become less interested in my milk, and now has whole milk x 2 bottles a day and only a 5 minute morning feed from me. Its been this way for around 8 weeks now. My breasts are almost back to pre-pregnancy size and don;t swell at all - even if I go a whole 24 hours without BF him (which has only happened a couple of times)

Although its been great not having to deal with periods - I'm starting to get a bit worried why they haven;t returned (no I'm deffo not pregnant)... my boy was born by emergency CS and I caught an infection in my scar 2 weeks afetr he was born - could this have something to do with it? Should I get checked out or is this completely normal?

Thanks for listening xxxx smile

Cosmosis Thu 21-Jul-11 20:52:43

DS is coming up to 11 m and mine aren't back yet either smile

BertieBotts Thu 21-Jul-11 20:53:37

Mine returned after 18 months.

MazzaP1 Thu 21-Jul-11 21:06:18

BertieBotts - was this with just BF once / twice a day for a while?
thanks x

BertieBotts Thu 21-Jul-11 21:15:05

No, DS was feeding more than that. But I don't think amount of breastfeeding matters. (The not getting engorged thing is normal, BTW, not sure if you were worried about that) smile

If you're worried, you could see your GP, or do a pregnancy test perhaps? But it's likely to just be breastfeeding holding them off. I don't think it could be anything to do with your scar.

AngelDog Thu 21-Jul-11 21:30:05

The average for babies bf on demand is supposed to be about 14 months I think. Mine haven't returned yet at 18 m.o.

Kellymom has some info.

Cosmosis Fri 22-Jul-11 08:22:08

ps I am feeding bedtime and morning and once in the night. 1 or 2 pumping sessions at work and 1 or two bfs in the day on a weekend.

Zimm Fri 22-Jul-11 10:06:28

Nearly 1 year old here and no periods. friend in same situation also. I BF on demand - about 4 times a day. Recently night weaned but still no period. Back at work next week so wondering if that will kick start them! Not worried though, but would like to TTc soon..maybe....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now