Talk

Advanced search

Weaning 16mth old off breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Thu 21-Jul-11 10:38:36

DS2 is 16 months old and in childcare 2 days a week when he has just a morning and evening b'feed. The other days he feeds both morning and evening, but 1 - 2 times on top of that during the day.

I'm ready to wean him off BFing, but he isn't quite as keen. He is constantly putting his hands down my top. We are going on holiday in September and would love to not be breastfeeding then, be able to drink without worrying etc. We've really enjoyed feeding, but I just feel like I'm ready to move on.

Any tips or advice to make this as smooth as possible? I don't want this to be hard for DS2, but concerned the longer I leave it, the harder it will be.

Any experiences or thoughts really appreciated,
Thanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 22-Jul-11 08:54:36

Haven't really got any tips for you sorry, but just had to smile at your comment of "He is constantly putting his hands down my top." I forced my DD to stop at 2.8, she's nearly 4 now and still does this, really wish I'd let her stop in her own time but can empathise with you wanting to stop now.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some help.

GoldenGreen Fri 22-Jul-11 21:00:17

I am in a similar position with my 14 mo dd. She has morning and evening feeds and one during the day. Won't entertain cow's milk in a cup (can't blame her, I hate it too!).

I'd love to drop the daytime feed at least and would prefer to have weaned her entirely by our holiday in October, but she is very very keen on bfing to say the least! She signs "milk" at me and pulls at my top several times a day. I can often distract her with food or a drink of water but not always.

I am torn as in many ways it's lovely, but I would love to feel like we are at least winding down!

GoldenGreen Fri 22-Jul-11 21:01:33

oh and she is still bfing to sleep at night - and I will need to go away for work sometime in the autumn - dreading this, as is DP

MovingAndScared Fri 22-Jul-11 21:09:20

my DS2 is 17 months -he has a morning feed and bits in the day - has a bottle at bedtime through - I think that he would drop the morning feed if my DH got him up for a few days in a row - he would probably have some milk in a cup - and he was fine the one night I went away

GoldenGreen - I would try a test night with your DP doing bed time - and I would try to put her down awake

and sheeplikesleep really I don't think it does make it harder the longer you leave it -so don't worry on that account but I can understand that you for its time to stop

oh and my DS1 who I fed for 10 months put his hand down my top all the time until he nearly 3 or so!!

sheeplikessleep Fri 22-Jul-11 21:37:31

thanks all for posting, appreciated.
it's so hard isn't it. i'm going to try to cut out daytime feeds i think and try the powers of distraction, see if it works!
cheers

GoldenGreen Sat 23-Jul-11 13:51:09

good luck with dropping the feeds - let us know how it works out!

thanks MovingandScared - I know we do just have to give it a try at bedtime. Her settling without me would make things much easier as I will have lots of evening commitments from Sept onwards. But she is going through a very clingy, mummy phase at the moment which is not helping.

I have just remembered though that ds, who was bf for only 3 weeks or so, did also put his hand down my top a fair amount until he was maybe 18 months - I guess it's just comforting!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: