Talk

Advanced search

transporting breast milk - time limits?

(6 Posts)
shinydiscoball Thu 21-Jul-11 10:08:57

I've been expressing one feed a day for 4wk old DD which she is taking well from bottle - today will be the first time I will take this out and about.

Up to now I've been warming it from the fridge and giving it to her - if I take it out of the fridge and don't warm it until she needs it how long will it last? I know freshly expressed milk lasts about 6 hours doesn't it - so thought I'd be safe with around the same time?

Would appreciate some guidance smile thanks.

organiccarrotcake Thu 21-Jul-11 10:16:54

How old will it be when you take it out of the fridge?

Why are you taking it in a bottle? Is there another option? smile

shinydiscoball Thu 21-Jul-11 10:32:16

Under 24 hrs when I take it out of the fridge, expressed yesterday. Taking it in a bottle as I haven't managed the art of discreet BFing yet (especially with my plus size boobs!) and don't want to get stressed trying to do it in public. Plus need DD to get used to a bottle as well as breast as due to circumstances I will retuen to work in October.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 10:35:01

there is a good page on kellymom about ebm handling

at room temp it says you're fine for around 10 hours, or 24 hours if you have it in a cooler

shinydiscoball Thu 21-Jul-11 10:50:59

Brilliant link, thanks thisisyesterday

MotherPanda Thu 21-Jul-11 16:52:32

OOh - that is a great link, i'm going to print out the quick reference card and stick it on my fridge.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now