Talk

Advanced search

Job opportnuities and day feeds

(12 Posts)
greeneone12 Wed 20-Jul-11 16:00:19

Hi Mumsnetters

I would really appreciate your advice and experience on this matter.

My LO is 9 months in a week and feeds 7am, 11am, 4pm and 7pm. I might have a great job opportunity coming my way starting in a months time.

I wanted to let her drop feeds naturally but it would be such ashame to turn down this opportunity. I know milk is most important until 1 but the job is only 3 days a week. I have read on here that they adapt and get used to milk only twice a day on the days you are at work but is she too young to drop down to 2 feeds a day, 3 days a week?

Also I can't imagine finding a childminder happy to take a baby that doesn't take a bottle and isn't weaned off day feeds yet. She does drink from a cup but it's messy!

Any advice or pearls of wisdom?

Thanks

organiccarrotcake Wed 20-Jul-11 16:02:16

My LO goes to a nursery very close to work so I can feed during the day. Is that an option?

greeneone12 Wed 20-Jul-11 16:05:57

Sadly not but thank you!

organiccarrotcake Wed 20-Jul-11 16:26:52

Shame! Otherwise, no, she'd be fine with that number of feeds for those 3 days. Do you have an opportunity to express? Just wouldn't want you to get breast problems from being over-full. Childminders will take your child as she is - if not they're not a decent childminder! Messy cup feeds are totally part of their job smile and by no means the worst part!!!

organiccarrotcake Wed 20-Jul-11 16:27:13

I mean, YES, she'd be fine!!

greeneone12 Wed 20-Jul-11 16:35:00

Could I try, in the next month at least to stop the 11am feed? I just can't see her waiting until 3-4pm for her next one sad

organiccarrotcake Wed 20-Jul-11 16:44:14

Sure. When would you drop her off at the childminders? Can you plan one in then and another at the time you'd collect her? Sounds like you're on a bit of a schedule so juggling it may work.

Often, though, while they're with mum they won't change, but away from mum they're ok (subject to a transition period which can be horrid)

MovingAndScared Wed 20-Jul-11 16:49:42

I agree give her an extra feed when you drop her off at CM and she probably will want one when you pick up - at least my DS2 does!
- tell CM to give milk in cup - and my DCs droped milk in the day when I wasn't around at that age - they took bottles but were not bothered -
I wouldn't bother trying to drop it when you are around unless you want to though

greeneone12 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:16:29

Feed at 6am and drop off would be 8am but wouldn't have time for a feed. I can't see CM taking her if she knows sad

zacklesMum Wed 20-Jul-11 18:17:18

When DS was 10 months I went back to work 3 days a week. He has never taken a bottle, and happily missed the feeds on those days, just drinking water from a sippy cup and eating solids. Actually his water-drinking ability was poor at first, but he was absolutely FINE. I did not drop any feeds in preparation and gave normal feeds on the other 4 days. Now he's 19 months and we still have the same system. He feeds at least 5 times a day still when I'm with him. I do have to express at work though, for my comfort.

Cosmosis Thu 21-Jul-11 10:01:46

Honestly I think you are worrying too much, it will be fine. Your DD will adapt and a good CM will know how to deal with it. I don’t think 3 days a week on 2 feeds a day is a problem at her age either. My DS refused milk from the CM when he started, so he did a month of 3 feeds a day (morning, bedtime and a night one) 3 days a week with no problems. If you are concerned about her milk intake on those days you can always offer more night feeds.

CMs deal with all sorts of different babies with different needs so I really wouldn’t worry about it.

Bramshott Thu 21-Jul-11 10:12:26

Most CMs would be fine with this. DD2 started with her childminder at 6 months, not taking a bottle, and it was fine - she had some formula in a sippy cup that she mostly didn't drink, and quite a few fromage frais!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now