Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding diet avoiding wind

(6 Posts)
homebertha Wed 20-Jul-11 15:02:57

hello, any ideas for vegetarian foods for mum that dont cause wind for my 5 week old boy who's really suffering with it. I m struggling to eat healthily without causing him agony next time he feeds. any help gratefully received x

EauRouge Wed 20-Jul-11 15:12:19

It is pretty rare for what you eat to affect the baby (not including caffeine and alcohol, these can affect milk). I would try and rule out other causes before you have to start cutting things out of your diet. How is the feeding going? Is there any discomfort during a feed, can you hear any slurping or clicking noises? Is he gaining weight and having plenty of wet and dirty nappies?

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 20-Jul-11 17:45:56

congratulations!

Eau rouge is right. Some babies are intolerant of dairy things, but windy foods in particular don't pass to the milk (they stay in the gut causing trouble).

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this board so hope fully someone will be able to help you work out what's going on and what to do about it. smile

jaggythistle Wed 20-Jul-11 21:36:55

agree that it's very unlikely that it's your diet. smile

my ds's uncomfortable looking windyness went away by itself when he was about 6/7 weeks old. from what i gather from reading on here and Googling it is more likely that it can take a wee while for their wee digestive system to mature a bit and settle down.

i haven't changed my diet at all during pg or bf, apart from avoiding alcohol and excessive caffeine.

oh and congratulations. smile

AgathaPinchBottom Wed 20-Jul-11 22:06:39

Hi! My ds had terrible wind problems and i just couldn't get to the bottom of it... Spent a fairly miserable month not eating anything I liked and cutting out alcohol and caffeine... Turns out latch wasn't completely right... I could hear him taking in air ... But hadn't realised positioning him in a particular way stopped it ... Was so relieved when it finally stopped and felt silly that it took 13 weeks for me to work it out! Wind problems will get better I promise. Good luck! (grin)

madmomma Wed 20-Jul-11 22:58:29

I just avoided cow's milk. Cheese and yogurt didn't have the same effect. worked a treat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now