Talk

Advanced search

Weaning onto follow on milk

(6 Posts)
info Wed 20-Jul-11 13:30:58

This is my first post so excuse my newbiness! I am trying to get my 7 month old DS to drink formula occasionally to free me up from BF. He is also well into weaning having three meals/day and finger food snacks. He is BF to sleep and refuses to drink formula in the same way. He does bottle feed expressed milk. He will drink formula from a cup but I am not sure he really enjoys it! Does anyone have any tips on how to get him onto formula? I thought maybe we should keep offering it but he does get so upset when you offer him the bottle and it tastes different to breastmilk!

WhipMeIndiana Wed 20-Jul-11 13:38:48

my ds weaned himself off the breast about 7mths, so i got him the ff milk in cartons to avoid too much sterlising, he never really liked it. fed him loads of cheese in the meantime! tried every brand in the cartons first, the ones he slightly preferred stocked up on, avoided the ones he hated

lizzytee Wed 20-Jul-11 14:59:42

OP, just so I understand: are you looking to encourage your DS to have drinks other than BM, or are you looking to partially wean him?.....the reason I ask being that between 6-12 months babies, left to their own devices, gradually reduce the amount of calories they take from milk and the amount they take from other sources. Obviously the pace at which this happens varies a lot........so if you are just looking to encourage other drinks, you could just offer cups of water or very dilute juice, say at mealtimes.

Re formula, it is worth bearing in mind that 'follow-on' formula usually contains added iron - which can make it taste metallic - so might be worth trying a first milk.

cockle84 Wed 20-Jul-11 22:35:30

Not sure how accurate this is but I was told that follow on milks just have added potato starch to make them more filling for older babies. I'd agree with lizzytee and try 1st milk. I use SMA every evening for my little one and she doesn't notice the difference to breast milk (well if she does it certainly doesn't stop her)

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Wed 20-Jul-11 22:43:39

I would say honestly if he will drink the formula out a cup don't try and force the bottle just let him do it that way and he will get used to it.
Also agree with scrapping the Follow on it is a marketing ploy and not necessary go with a first milk like WhipMe said try the individual cartons of a few brands and go from there.

info Thu 21-Jul-11 07:31:17

Thanks everyone, that is helpful I will try a first milk and see how we get on. My aim is to just allow me to go to a wedding for the weekend and leave baby with my mum but as he prefers to go to sleep after milk it would be easier to use formula then express enough milk for two days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now