Talk

Advanced search

Bowel movements in 4 week old?

(7 Posts)
midori1999 Wed 20-Jul-11 11:02:12

My daughter was 4 weeks old on Monday. She was weighed then and her weight gain had been good, 1lb 9oz in two weeks.

Yesterday however, she didn't have a dirty nappy and still hasn't had one today. I know this can happen from around 6 weeks old, but do I need to worry about it as she is a bit younger? I am on antibiotics for mastitis currently and she's having plenty fo wet nappies still.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 20-Jul-11 11:29:20

It can happen a bit earlier, yes.

How is BF going otherwise? Did you have a blocked duct before the mastitis? What happened there?

Are your nipples sore at all?

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 20-Jul-11 11:31:04

is she ebf...no formula? If so i think it is normal but hopefully an expert will be along soon to tell us. smile

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 20-Jul-11 11:32:11

x post

midori1999 Wed 20-Jul-11 11:56:00

Thanks. She is EBF, no formula.

I think the BF is going pretty well. DD has never fed very frequently, she goes 2-3 hours during the day and 3-5 hours a tnight between feeds, but occasionally cluster feeds or feeds more often. I have oversupply/fast letdown and she does get a bit windy/colicky but infacol seems to help.

I dont think I had a blocked duct, I had sore areas in my left side and some lumpiness there and flu like symptoms, incl. a temperature.

My nipples are a bit sore at the start of feeds but not for long. I wouldn't say painful though. I did have some quite bad cracks at the start, but these have healed now.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 20-Jul-11 18:58:27

iirc as she i ebf the poo isn't a problem. I think it's just the first couple of weeks that you want to see a daily poo... hopefully someone will confirm this... grin

poppygolucky Wed 20-Jul-11 19:13:02

My DD is 3.5 weeks old, ebf and sounds exactly like yours in terms of feeding/sleeping patterns. She hasn't had a dirty nappy since Sunday, having previously had one at least every other day. Checked with HV today who said I should only make an appt with doctor if she for a 5 days so I wouldn't worry just yet. She also showed me some baby massage techniques which can help apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now