Talk

Advanced search

Milk supply for 9 mth old dropping too fast

(7 Posts)
Minnie24 Wed 20-Jul-11 10:20:24

DD3 will be 9 mths next wk. She is on 2 meals a day plus milk. She has 2 feeds during night and schedule looks like this:

7am bf
9.30 bf whilst napping for 1/2 hr
11.30 lunch
1 ish bf then 1 1/2 hr nap
4.30 tea
7 bf then bed
1 ish bf
4 ish bf

She was feeding every 2 hrs until a month or so ago but once she got a bit more into the food which took a while she dropped a few feeds.

The problem is that the milk supply seems to be dropping quite quickly. She gets very frustrated during the day time feeds especially and has started "biting" (no teeth yet, but it feels like it!) and really squirming and not relaxing during the feeds. Ive noticed this more and more over the last few days.

Also I am not getting the same feeling of fullness as I was even if she misses a feed.

Most nights I am waking her for the night feeds as I am scared to let her sleep through because of the effect it might have on the supply.

She wont take a bottle (although not tried for a few months) and wont take more than a couple of sips of formula from a cup.

Anyone else suffered this or have any suggestions?

Sossiges Wed 20-Jul-11 10:31:47

Hello, pretty sure it's not your milk supply, because you're still bf a lot. Don't worry about the "fullness feeling", doesn't really mean a lot if you don't feel full, you'll still have all the milk she needs, as long as she's feeding. Probably due to teething (biting and squirming all sounding very familiar), feeding is undoubtedly uncomfortable for her with gnashers coming through.
Mine got on well with drinking from a straw at an early age, a bendy one cut in half, maybe worth a try. Beakers were hopeless, even supposedly non-spill ones, she always managed to "water" the floor with them.

Sossiges Wed 20-Jul-11 10:36:16

Also my dd would never drink milk (bm, cow's) from any bottle or cup, sorry can't help you there blush

papillonrouge Wed 20-Jul-11 10:46:40

By 9 months my DS was on three solid meals per day and only 4bf (on waking, mid-morning, mid afternoon and before bed) which rapidly dropped to 3 at about 10mo. The feeling of fullness definitely went for me once DS started solids. DS also got more and more distracted at the daytime feeds as he was just too interested in the world around him. I'd also say this experience was fairly common amongst my friends. Is there a reason you want to keep your supply up to such a degree? - maybe I don't fully understand your situation but waking a 9mo in the night for feeds seems odd (sorry - don't mean that to sound harsh - just trying to understand why you would do it!) I'd trust your DS to take what she needs.

papillonrouge Wed 20-Jul-11 10:49:05

Also, we introduced a bottle at 10.5 mo just for the bedtime feed and DS suddenly seemed to get it where every other time he had screamed blue murder! SO may be worth trying that again

Minnie24 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:30:27

Thanks very much for this, very helpful. I guess with regards to the night feeds its just that becuase I dont feel there is much milk available during the day I am afraid that if I cut back any more feeds that it will reduce further. I know what you mean though, it does seem crazy to be waking a 9 month old during the night!

Sossiges Wed 20-Jul-11 16:30:06

You feed her as long as you like, don't worry about what anyone else says. Maybe your dd is sleeping so well because of the night feeds? You could always try letting her sleep through if you wanted - see what happens?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now