Talk

Advanced search

Toddler seems to not like the end of a breastfeed

(16 Posts)
LeninGrad Tue 19-Jul-11 23:04:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheRealMBJ Wed 20-Jul-11 06:16:32

Hmm... Strange. Hopefully someone with more experience feeding toddlers will be along soon.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Wed 20-Jul-11 06:31:38

Could it be because he's got to the end of the feed?

LeninGrad Wed 20-Jul-11 13:13:11

mawbroon Wed 20-Jul-11 14:06:24

DS1 (he's 5.9yo) told me recently that when he has milk for ages (ie a long feed) then it goes really, really sweet and makes his mouth sore and itchy.

I can't imagine he means sore and itchy, but this is possibly the best he can do explanation wise.

You know how sometimes your mouth can go very tingly when you eat something really sweet? I wonder if this is what ds1 means.

Perhaps it's something similar for your ds, and of course when he goes back for the next time, your breast will have filled a bit and the milk be more watery. Or maybe it's not that at all!!

LeninGrad Wed 20-Jul-11 14:22:32

Cleverything Wed 20-Jul-11 14:26:35

LeninGrad Wed 20-Jul-11 15:05:48

AngelDog Thu 21-Jul-11 21:36:48

My 18 m.o. DS was suddenly doing something like this tonight. He'd come off, stick out his tongue in a 'yeurch' way, almost gag, swallow and go back on again. He kept doing it.

He'd had about 3 loooong feeds from that breast in the previous half hour as he's got an injured arm, much more than he'd normally have, so maybe the flavour was just too concentrated for him.

He didn't have a hair or bit of fluff in his mouth (although that was what the reaction looked like) as he behaves very predictably but differently when that happens.

AFAIK I'm not pg, although it's not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility.

TheRealMBJ Thu 21-Jul-11 21:56:55

Apparently there has been a lot of Hand, foot and mouth going around and I did notice that DS had a few ulcers in his mouth near the end of last week.

Could that be it, do you think?

AngelDog Thu 21-Jul-11 22:09:33

Hmm, could be - I'll have a look in his mouth tomorrow.

LeninGrad Sat 23-Jul-11 19:14:04

AngelDog Sat 23-Jul-11 21:22:35

Well, DS hasn't done it since I posted either. confused

No sign of anything untoward in his mouth either.

Very strange, isn't it, Lenin? And quite a coincidence that my DS happened to do it just after I'd read your thread.

LeninGrad Sat 23-Jul-11 21:24:03

Cies Sun 24-Jul-11 11:23:03

My ds is 20mo and will suddenly pull off and ask for water, which is what he does if he eats something he doesn't like. confusedNo idea why though, just interesting.

AngelDog Sun 24-Jul-11 12:57:48

Interesting.

I wasted spent some time yesterday glancing through the archives on feeding a toddler on the LLL forum to see if I could see any similar threads. I went back through at least 5 years and couldn't see anything that looked similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now