Talk

Advanced search

How to successfully bf dc3???? Track record a disaster...

(8 Posts)
addictedtofrazzles Tue 19-Jul-11 21:32:43

It is early days and am pregnant with dc3 (10 weeks). All I can think about at the moment is this enormous desire I have to successfully bf dc3.

Dc1 had an underbite so couldn't latch successfully (saw a bf councillor) so I expressed but after 4 weeks gave up as struggled emotionally with the whole thing as I felt like all day I was pumping then feeding with no let up (ridiculous in hindsight but hey- ho!).

Dc2 suffered badly with silent reflux and when he was born we were living in a building site (literally!) so bf stopped after about 2 weeks as every feed was a 'battle' and there were always about 5 builders in the house so I felt really vulnerable.

When dc3 is born I will have lots of help at home so won't have two small boys (3 and 1) to entertain when feeding. I feel really positive that this is my chance to give bf a real go.

How can I prepare myself, what can I read, do any of you have any pearls of wisdom please???

Thanks so much

midori1999 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:46:27

I was unsuccessful in BF my 3 DS's, with hindsight due to no support/information. I was therefore determined to feed my DD successfully. I spent ages reading forums like this one and getting as much information as I could. It's still only early days (DD is just over 4 weeks old) but despite a few problems (very sore and cracked nipples at first, currently on second bout of mastitis, over supply and fast let down so colicky baby) I have never once felt like stopping and I feel like the feeding itself is going brilliantly!

These forums have been great!

crikeybadger Tue 19-Jul-11 21:47:47

Hi there,

Here's a previous thread that may be useful.

My top reading list would be
kellymom.com
drjacknewman.com
biologicalnurturing.com
howbreastfeedingworks.com
unicef.org.uk
The Food of Love- Kate Evans
Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Breastfeeding.

Needless to say I didn't read many or in fact any of these books/sites before my DSs were born- but I wish I had!

Anyway, hope you get all the support you need and that things go well for you this time. smile

Sossiges Tue 19-Jul-11 21:54:53

It's pretty much a round the clock job at first, so learn to bf lying down, then you can get some kip at the same time. Have books, water (to drink) and a cloth to mop up with handy, I always seemed to need one or the other as soon as dd latched on. Sore nipples - Lansinoh. Dr Jack Newman has excellent website with videos (lifesaver) and factsheets. Kellymom has tons of bf info. Good luck. Be determined. smile

Sossiges Tue 19-Jul-11 21:55:58

x-post (these darn essays take so long to write smile)

choceyes Tue 19-Jul-11 22:23:45

I wasn't successful at BF my first, but still bfing my second at 11 months.

I recomment the Womanly Art of breastfeeding by the La Leche League. Great book and sets out the reality of breastfeeing in the early weeks and it really really helped me.

addictedtofrazzles Wed 20-Jul-11 13:35:29

You are all fantastic - thank you for taking the time to direct me to some reading and for your words of encouragement. It is enormously appreciated.

funnylittlekaty Wed 20-Jul-11 14:54:28

I'm trying v hard to breastfeed ds after tricky start. 10 weeks in and it's getting there. I found expressing to build up my supply has helped a lot. Also, if I had my time again, I'd set up the bed for co-sleeping from the get go, as I worry if I fall asleep feeding him in our bed. I wish I'd got one of those cot thingies that attaches to the side of the bed. Makes it loads easier doing night feeds I imagine. Also I'd love to be able to open my eyes at night and see him sleeping or hold his little paw. The crib seems miles away!
Masses of good luck...really hope all goes well for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now