Talk

Advanced search

"Leeds set to be first Breastfeeding Friendly city in England"

(14 Posts)
SingingSands Mon 18-Jul-11 21:17:38

According to the current edition of "About Leeds" that has just been shoved through my letterbox!

The Council are teaming up with local NHS organisations to promote breastfeeding to mums, and within local businesses and organisations.

More here: www.breastfeeding.leeds.nhs.uk

Cosmosis Mon 18-Jul-11 21:25:52

ooh fab! I knew I lived in a great city grin

HumptyDumpty1 Mon 18-Jul-11 21:33:48

Lol I agree cosmosis!

SingingSands Mon 18-Jul-11 21:54:19

grin I have to say, I've received fab breastfeeding support whilst living in Leeds!

I'll give this a little bump tomorrow for the daytime posters to see!

Cosmosis Tue 19-Jul-11 12:43:33

Was just thinking about this last night – more specifically the cafes and shops etc displaying the bf friendly sticker. I was wondering if it’s a bit of a double edged sword, in that it might make nervous bfers think that it means they shouldn’t feed in places that don’t display the sticker?

EauRouge Tue 19-Jul-11 15:21:05

Hmm, I see what you mean. I'm not sure if it would or not. I think women might feel reassured if they know that no one is going to say anything to them while they are BF, especially if they don't know about the law. I found the more I BF in public, the more confident I got so starting in somewhere BF friendly might help some people.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 19-Jul-11 15:28:15

That's a good point cos. But i would hope that everywhere would have a sticker eventually. And that people would vote with their feet and go to places that are explicite in their welcome for bf mums.

shameless plug for any leeds folk interested...i've recently set up a "natural parenting" group in leeds. Any one interested in bf, cosleeping, ec, cloth nappies, blw, slings etc is welcome. Obviously you don't have to be doing all those things...just be interested in one or more. It's just likeminded people getting together for a chat and support. And we are trying to think of a better name so please don't hold that against us. grin pm me if you want more info.

Cosmosis Tue 19-Jul-11 16:05:29

That is a good point, it might well encourage 1st timers. When my ds was about 12 weeks we were out for lunch and there was a lady with a tiny (days old) baby, and she bf. She stopped to talk to me on her way out and said she was pleased to see me bfing and it had helped get her courage up to bf for the first time in public. It was really nice smile

Grumpygils Tue 19-Jul-11 16:17:59

Isn't this rather similar to Bristol's claim last year confused?

organiccarrotcake Tue 19-Jul-11 16:26:36

Cos I was looking at this only today as I'm doing a BFW scheme in Wakey. The general suggestion seems to be to get BFW stickers made up which state something at the bottom like, "You are legally protected when breastfeeding in public wherever you are" or similar. Covers both bases then.

I personally think that the benefits of a BFW scheme outweigh the downsides. At least people feel there IS somewhere they could go. For me, when I had LC 6 years ago it was only BFW places that I would go to to BF.

As opposed to, like, now, where I just whop 'em out at the slightest provocation, whether the child is there or not grin. (Or something like that).

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 20-Jul-11 11:36:07

bump in case anyone's interested in my hijack... blush

TuttoRhino Wed 20-Jul-11 19:20:41

I had my daughter in Leeds and agree the post natal support was really good. I also fed her all over the place without any issues. Shame I'm not in Leeds anymore MoonFaceMama, otherwise I'd get in touch.

deepbluewave Thu 21-Jul-11 15:59:24

OOO can I have more detail on the natural parenting group???

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 21-Jul-11 16:17:41

yes yes yes! grin I'll put it here but feel free to pm me re any of it.

We meet on tuesdays from 11 -12.30 near the playground in meanwood park. We just have a natter and eat our lunch. It's all really informal but if it gets established we might introduce some more structured things (if that's what people want) . It's only been going a few weeks so it's still very much forming as we go along iyswim.

Do come along deepbluewave...or anyone else! And if ever you're back in town tutto...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now