Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it time to stop BF? (TTC).

(3 Posts)
madrarua Mon 18-Jul-11 15:59:19

DD is almost 15 months old and has two BFs a day. My AF returned 5 months ago, and we've been TTC ever since. I have been ovulating as I have been temperature charting too, but still no BFP!
I know it's only been 5 months, but it's very frustrating, not only because I got pregnant in the second month of trying with DD, but also because I feel like I don't really have a lot of time on my side (I'm 35).
Does anyone know if BF could in some way be preventing implantation of the fertilised egg?

I'm keen to continue BF for as long as DD wants to, but DH wants me to stop BF as he thinks that's what's hindering things. Could he be right? Is it worth making an appointment to see the GP for tests (not sure for what?), or will GP just tell me I need to stop BF in order to conceive, too? Or do we just go with the flow, so to speak, for another few months?

Any advice from anyone with more experience would be greatly appreciated!

TruthSweet Mon 18-Jul-11 16:17:37

Hi Madrarua,

This might be useful to you as it has lots of evidence based information on TTC & fertility & bfing.

A few women ovulate whilst bfing but the gap between ovulation and their period is too short (luteal phase) so even if the egg is fertilised it doesn't implant/stay implanted. There are ways around this with out ceasing bfing permanently.

Have you read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler? It's quite highly recommended I believe, and very informative.

Fortunately for me I had got pg on my 5th cycle of TTC with DD1 (so no bfing at that point wink) and even though I was bfing DD1 I got pg with DD2 on the first month of TTC, with DD3 I was bfing DD1 & DD2 when I got pg after the once blush Just to goes to show Bfing doesn't always, or even most of the time, need to be stopped to get pg. I was very lucky though! I hope you get your baby soon.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 18-Jul-11 16:42:58

Madrarua please don't worry too much about your age, I conceived my first at 35 and my second at 38 whilst still bfing DC1 so it is possible.

You could go to the GP, if they ask you to give up bfing you could ask for information on why they think that would be a good idea. That way you can read up on it yourself and make your own mind up. Having said that the link and book recommendation from Truth are both excellent and a great starting point.

Have a read of those, and if you're still concerned go to the GP. You could always stop charting etc whilst you read the book and "go with the flow".

I hope you get your baby soon too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now